Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one getting nothing done? >

Am I the only one getting nothing done?

Am I the only one getting nothing done?

Old 02-07-2012, 03:18 PM

Default Am I the only one getting nothing done?

Hi All: I'm in a terrible quilting slump. Basically the only quilting getting done is me hanging out on the QB. Was completely burned out making Christmas gifts so I took a little vaca. Now we're into February and still no ambition or patience for a quilting whatsoever. Have worked some on a flannel baby quilt kit. Beautiful fabric but the most horrible pattern I've ever followed. If the baby wasn't coming next month, I could walk away from it forever because it feels like sheer torture working on the stinkin' thing.

I know part of it is I have too much on my mind and can't concentrate. I am retiring the end of March and my mind is going in a million different directions. Started training my replacement yesterday and she's doing very well but I came home so tired I felt like I could have dropped in a heap.

Thought maybe I could be inspired by some new quilting books that I bought on ebay. Both are for small, maybe more manageable projects. Even thought of forcing myself to sew for 30 minutes an evening. Any suggestions or words of wisdom? Anyone else feeling this way? On a lighter note, have been very successful on the fabric moratorium with my total lack of interest.

Thanks for letting me ramble.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:22 PM

Just be OK with where you are....I am thinking when March gets here and you are home more you will get motivated. Put your feet up and dream about the time you will have soon...it is a BIG adjustment retiring....me thinks you too hard on yourself!
Old 02-07-2012, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

No you are not the only one. I actually spent an hour in my sewing room today (the first since before the holidays). I have several projects that I need to get working on too.
I am hoping the longer, brighter days will postively impact my productivity.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:37 PM

I'm just trying to do my LEAST favorite job....hand sewing the back of the binding. I have trouble staying with it very long. I'm supposed to get my new glasses on the 16th, so maybe that will help a bit. I'm anxious to start on a couple of graduation quilts for two DGDs. BUT, I have had those times when I just didn't feel like even thinking about it. If you wore yourself out on Christmas, maybe doing something different for awhile will give you a rest and help get those creative juices flowing again. You don't need to feel guilty about needing a rest.

You will love retirement!! Everyday is Saturday for awhile! You will love being able to be your own boss and making out your own schedule...and changing them it you want. I retired a couple of years ago and I have no desire to enter the rat race again!
Old 02-07-2012, 03:52 PM

I spend all my time here I have been in a sewing slump for quite some time, I know I will get back to it but when!!
Old 02-07-2012, 04:07 PM

I have been retired for 3 years, and almost always have a slump after Christmas. I am on the Board everyday, turn around, and there is my sewing machine! Just can't get in the mood either, but it goes away, and pretty soon we will be back at it. Hang in there!
Old 02-07-2012, 04:12 PM

I have been in a terrible slump too. I've been pretty depressed for a few months now. Yesterday, I tried to sew a project block for my guild meeting this coming Sunday but I messed it up, re-cut it, messed it up, re-cut it and messed it up again. I need to get a signature quilt top done (haven't even started it yet) and have other stuff to do. I'm not only not inspired, it seems I've forgotten how to sew. So, the moral of the story is... don't feel bad, it could be worse. You could be ME!!
Old 02-07-2012, 04:13 PM

Yep, kinda in a slump. I took a class on paper piecing. It was a nightmare from the start, so I work on it a little bit, but it is a mess and just can't seem to get into it. Things don't match up. Ugh. But, I'll get it done and call it the nightmare quilt. Hang in there, it will get better. I think we are all burned out and need a bright warm sunny day.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:14 PM

I made 50 soup bowl holders,15 pr pj's 7 pr mittens and 1 knitted hat,50 Christmas cards,15 pot holders. Just worn out.
Gd is buying a house and I am now making a quilt for her house. Otherwise my body is sore. I would be in your boat.All that was done between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I will be back at it after a much needed break. Don't despair.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:24 PM

Nope your not! I guess I can add my self in here. I did finish up a UFO . but nothing since. I have an idea for a AAQI little quilt but just can't seem to get started on it. I pulled everything out week before last and it sits on my cutting table.