Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
need pattern for fabric drawers >

need pattern for fabric drawers

need pattern for fabric drawers

Old 03-18-2012, 09:03 AM

Default need pattern for fabric drawers

I am looking for a pattern for a fabric drawer to fit on the shelf under a changing table. Does anyone have a pattern?

Last edited by Minnisewta; 03-18-2012 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Did spell a word right.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:16 AM

You could check makeit-loveit.com. They had a tut in september that was good.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:58 AM

Thank you.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:28 AM

LOL - I went into this thread, but it's decidedly not what I thought you were asking about.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:28 AM

All you have to do is measure the space to get size you want the drawer to be, find a cardboard box as close to size you want and cover with fabric. I know the members like patterns, but come on it is not hard to make your own when it comes to some things. I made nylon shopping bags 25 years ago like everyone carries in their purses now. I did not have a pattern, just look at a grocery bag. I have since made many totes without patterns. I am not talented other than I can look at something and copy it. Now ladies I want you to put your thinking caps on and give a try at the adventure of figuring out how to copy something. Good luck, take care.
Linda
Old 03-20-2012, 04:25 PM

I haven't seen a pattern, but I'm wondering if you could get sheets of the plastic canvas grids that are used for yarn craft and just cut them to the dimensions you need for your boxes. They could easily be covered with fabric inside and out, and if you do the final seams with velcro along the top or bottom edge they could be removed for washing. Just be sure to pre-shrink the fabric before you begin. Cardboard would work, but the plastic would hold up better against rough use in a child's room.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:29 PM
Power Poster

what is it going to hold?
if the drawer is going to be made of fabric and nothing too heavy is going into it, Superior Threads have a new product called: Soft and Stable, that makes your totes stand up and look more professional.
I bet that would work better than any batting, but the plastic canvas suggestion was excellent too.
I "sew" yarn around the edges of my pl. canvas before inserting in things so it doesn't poke through fabric.
What about getting some of those plastic 3 drawer thingies at the family dollar and cool-glueing underneath?
Is that too small?
they do make single ones that are about 12 x 12, that shouldn't be too heavy if you use enough cool glue from a glue gun. I'm not sure I would use hot glue.
If you figure it out, please show us!!!
You've got my gears going now!