Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Retired--Do You Ever Get Bored? >

Retired--Do You Ever Get Bored?

Retired--Do You Ever Get Bored?

Old 04-04-2012, 04:00 AM

Default Retired--Do You Ever Get Bored?

I retired last May, so almost a year. My mother, who never believed in naps and was like a drill sergeant when we were growing up, is constantly asking me what I am doing to keep myself busy so I don't get bored. She is 96, lives in assisted living home, and I'm sure gets bored a lot.

So far, I have loved retirement! I try to do a little house cleaning each day, quilt/embroider/sew, read, exercise, and of course the necessary errands. I have a sister who was laid off almost two years ago and can't find a job, so it's like she's retired. She gets bored and wants to find some kind of the house.

Does anyone ever get bored?
Old 04-04-2012, 04:36 AM

NEVER!!! I love being retired. I work one day a week, just to keep some extra "fabric money" around and I whine all day the day before I have to go to work LOL. I can't imagine how I got anything done during the 40+ years I did work. I'm a "type A" personality and run from morning til night. I get some house cleaning done (very, very minimal) and then run errands. From noon on is MY time: I sew all afternoon, everyday. Do I feel guilty? Yeah I did for the first few days and then heck no--I contributed to society all those years (since I was 16) so now I'm contributing to my sanity.

Friends teased me and said "oh you've gotten up at 5:30am for all those years, bet you still wll". Nope-sleep in til 7:30 and stay up as late as I want.

My mother is 89 and lives alone so she has lots of errands, dr appts, etc, but I have time to do them without resentment.

Some days I sew just to sew--you wouldn't believe the number of table runners and potholders I make LOL.

Enjoy your retirement--it's finally YOUR time!!
Old 04-04-2012, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

I retired almost 3 years ago. Bored? never. I start my day off here while having my coffee. Take care of my pets,do a little house cleaning then get to the fun part of the day,quilting. I joined 2 quilting groups that are relaxing and fun. One meets weekly and the other every 2 weeks. They are not high pressure groups but fun get togethers. We quilt,go to lunch and sometimes go on road trips. Seven of us just came back from a quilting retreat where we got lots of ideas to play with. The days go by real fast.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:41 AM

I have been retired for 3 years and I do not get bored. Sometimes I think I am busier now than when I worked 4 days a week. There is always something to do.

mltquilt
Old 04-04-2012, 04:58 AM
Power Poster

I'm not bored any more often than I was when I was working. I just love being on my own schedule!
Old 04-04-2012, 05:01 AM

No, I never get bored. I read while I have my tea and breakfast. Then I check my computer messages. I like to quilt, do crossword puzzles, read, go to Bingo once a month, go to consigments shops, exercise and try new recipes. I usually watch afternoon TV because I like the shows so much better then the night shows. Always something to do. . I play so much in the morning it's hard for me to get out of the house before 9 or 10 A.M. and I hate to go out more then 2 times a week because I'm so content at home.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

Nope, I never get bored. Sometimes I take a short break from quilting and do some Red Work. It seems the older I get the more appointments I have to go for. That gets boring. I don't know why doctors, dentists etc. think their time is more valuable than mine. I also have my mother's appointments to do also. I meet up for supper once a week with my sisters. I clean house on Fridays (not my favorite thing) but I don't like my house too messy.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:28 AM

Not even a little bored! I still have all the regular chores around the house and errands to take care of. I go to a quilting group one morning a week. I also have a 6 year old grandchild to raise along with all his errands and activities. I still manage to spend at least a little time sewing, quilting or crafting amost every day. Like others I wonder how I kept up with everything when I was working full time, going to school, and raising a family. Glad I don't have to do it all now.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:02 AM

So bored that after retirement in 2003 went back to work in 2007. There is only so much sewing and gardening to do. I must be with people. I now work part time for the Census Bureau and have money, association with people, and time to do all I want
Old 04-04-2012, 11:16 AM

Nope, never get bored. I, too, wonder how I did it all when I was working. Of course, I have more doctors' apts now! LOL If I do get bored, I just take a nap until it passes!