Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you tried "Foldy Stuff" designs? >

Have you tried "Foldy Stuff" designs?

Have you tried "Foldy Stuff" designs?

Old 04-13-2012, 09:25 AM

Default Have you tried "Foldy Stuff" designs?

I'd never heard of this particular technique/product until our Guild president started doing it last fall. She led a class recently and everyone loved the technique. The designer is Donna Poster and she calls it The Foldy Stuff http://quiltwithdonna.com/foldystuffpagea.html. It's foundation pieced and uses fabric strips folded over and sewn down and results in a 3-dimensional block...very easy and sort of addicting!

Most of the Guild members tried the Pineapple block and used three blocks set on point to make a table runner. I used the Courthouse Steps pattern in scrappy fabrics. I've seen some of the other blocks and they are all interesting.

Just wondered if any of you have tried this and what you made with the blocks. I'm thinking wallhanging but I've only made 4 blocks so far.

Anita
Attached Thumbnails foldy-stuff-courthouse-steps-blocks.jpg  
Old 04-13-2012, 09:42 AM

I saw this in a quilt at a show, and it's on my "to try" list. Love your blocks!
Old 04-13-2012, 10:14 AM

I have a foldy stuff quilt started. I posted a picture here under (learning to post a picture). I am doing browns and black pineapple. I can only work on it for so long tho so it will take forever!
Old 04-13-2012, 10:23 AM

My Avatar is a pineapple quilt made with Donna Poster's design. It was the very first quilt I made and it was sew easy. I saw her on ther Simply Quilts show in the late 90's and sent for her pattern. For a long time after I made that quilt I foundation pieced everything I did until I built up the enough confidence to stop using foundation pieces. LOL It's on my list to do another Donna Poster quilt one day because it was fast and easy.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:47 PM

Here is one I just did called 3D blocks[ATTACH=CONFIG]327739[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 3-d-folded-blocks-005.jpg  
Old 04-14-2012, 02:59 PM

this technique is orginally called almazuelas and it's from spain. there is a poster, GV09, here on the board that has demonstrated this technique. in order to view her website, you will need to translate it to english. she has several postings on the board of blocks she made and the steps. it is a beautiful 3d effect.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:49 PM

Thanks, Havplenty. I knew I'd seen a folded technique somewhere on here. It is so easy and looks much more complicated! I'm sort of hooked and have made several more blocks now!

Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
this technique is orginally called almazuelas and it's from spain. there is a poster, GV09, here on the board that has demonstrated this technique. in order to view her website, you will need to translate it to english. she has several postings on the board of blocks she made and the steps. it is a beautiful 3d effect.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:49 AM

The first quilt I ever made was a Donna Poster "quilty-stuff". It is a full size bed quilt and is a version of log cabin, but the first square is on one corner, not in the middle. Done on a foundation, it makes for a very heavy quilt, what with all the folds added in and a backing. No batt needed, for sure.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:00 AM

That's the concern I had about a quilt vs a wallhanging...the weight issue. Thanks for the feedback.

Originally Posted by Yooper32 View Post
The first quilt I ever made was a Donna Poster "quilty-stuff". It is a full size bed quilt and is a version of log cabin, but the first square is on one corner, not in the middle. Done on a foundation, it makes for a very heavy quilt, what with all the folds added in and a backing. No batt needed, for sure.