Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How much stuff do other snowbirds lug back and forth >

How much stuff do other snowbirds lug back and forth

How much stuff do other snowbirds lug back and forth

Old 04-15-2012, 07:32 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan
Default How much stuff do other snowbirds lug back and forth

Just completed unpacking at home, and realized that it is too much stuff and next year it will be less. So looking for advice from those who have lived the snowbird life for more than two years. Do you plan projects ahead and take only the fabric and patterns for those? Do you bring some or all of your scraps? Rulers? Possible embellishments? Do you just piece in one place and then quilt and bind in he other? If I don't start restricting how much quilting stuff I haul, my clothes aren't going to fit. Well, there's always the two sets of clothes alternative.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:47 AM

We just got back from Florida and I was thinking the same thing, I just bring things started ufo's to finish but didn't even get to half of them this year so next year I think I will just do tops only ( have everything cut and ready to go) and finish the rest when I get home as it is too much fabric and batting to load in the van I have more stuff for quilting then personal things.... that's bad....
Old 04-15-2012, 08:29 AM

We just got back from Florida and what I did was leave my extra rulers, notions and one of my machines there at our condo. I used UPS to ship three boxes of quilting items there. I doubled up on my quilting items using the 40% off coupons and bought cutting mats, rotary cutters, etc, so I could leave them there. I made copies of any patterns that I wanted to have with me.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:41 AM

A local woman used to head to Florida every winter and actually rented a U-Haul pull along trailer.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:06 AM

We bring projects that are labor intensive, that will take a lot of time, i.e., tiny pieces. One sewing machine, 3/4 size, and minimal tools. Two bags of scraps. Everything is pretty well planned what we are going to do.
We have a van now but used to make the trip in a VW Rabbit - that was tight!!
Old 04-15-2012, 09:36 AM

I only take small things with me. Hand stuff like hand quilting wall hangings, yoyos cut out ready to sew, small applique projects already to be sewn down., etc. I don't even get to those half the time.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:20 AM

I like to take hand applique that is ready to stitch...or easy tops that have been pre-cut. I take a Janome Gem. travel iron and small press board
Old 04-15-2012, 11:07 AM

I am not a snowbird, but I do spend some time away at the beach each year. When I am there, I design, only. That way, I just have to worry about a small sketchbook and some colored pencils and a ruler. Lotsa fun, little stress.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:17 AM

Whats a snowbird?? Wasn't sure why you are hauling back in forth?
Old 04-15-2012, 11:49 AM
Power Poster

A "snowbird" is someone who leaves the snowy north and flies or drives to warmer climates (usually Florida) to bask in the warmth while all of the rest of us shiver our butts off through the winter. This year though, I think it was as warm here as it was there.