Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How much stuff do other snowbirds lug back and forth >

How much stuff do other snowbirds lug back and forth

How much stuff do other snowbirds lug back and forth

Old 04-15-2012, 11:54 AM

Lots of snowbirds come to Texas for the winter, we welcome them.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

We just returned from Florida this past week. DH and I usually have this "discussion" about what I can bring - either direction - it usually ends up with a compromise - more than he wants to take and less than I want to haul!

We have a "permanent" place that we return to every year, so I leave some big things - a Singer 237 (straight stitch and zigzag), a three-thread serger, ironing board and iron, multi-purpose 8 ft x 30 inch table, cutting mats, rulers, rotary cutters, and some of the thread

The big "discussion" is over the fabric!!!

IF I had to drag stuff back and forth, I would include a portable sewing machine, a decent iron, a surface to press on, rotary cutter and spare blades, and two cutting mats (24 x 30 if I could get away with it) and a small one - maybe 6 x 8 for cutting/trimming small pieces, scissors, seam rippers, needles and thread, and thimbles.

As far as fabrics and projects are concerned, I'm not that good at planning ahead.

I do try to find fabric at garage sales, but the pickings were slim last winter.

Of course, there ARE stores between here and there, but once DH gets in the van, he's like a horse wanting to get back in the barn. I've found it's just simpler to settle for fuel, food, and potty breaks during the day - hope for a decent night's rest, and the same for the next day.

Last edited by bearisgray; 04-15-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:03 PM

Make up a couple kits that are just for that trip. Cut out the pieces, etc. That way you do not need to take a large mat, just a small one to square up the blocks. Seems you always pack more than you really use.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

When I went with him in the big rig, I had several blocks cut and marked for hand-piecing while we were out. Then all I had was the pieces, needles, pins, thread, thimble, scissors, seam ripper and a 13 x 13 square of white fabric to lay the pieces out on (to improve the chances of assembling the block properly!)That all fit into a gallon ziplock bag.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
A "snowbird" is someone who leaves the snowy north and flies or drives to warmer climates (usually Florida) to bask in the warmth while all of the rest of us shiver our butts off through the winter. This year though, I think it was as warm here as it was there.
Thank you. I didn't ask but figured that was what it was. When I lived in Hi we had a lot of people there that came from Canada to live for the winter months for the same reason. That's why I like it here. Once in a while we get hit hard but not too often. I wouldn't mind the snow if I could afford to stay home inside and ride it out and if my house was nice and warm but since both of those things are distance fantacies I'll just settle for mellow winters when we get them like this yr.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:08 PM

We have a house in CA and a single wide mobile home in WA where we spend our summers. My DH drives up to WA in May and I fly up when school gets out so I'm very limited as to what I can take so......I have a plastic storage container that I put things in that I want to work on and I have a small embroidery machine that I put in a carrier and my DH takes up those 2 items when he goes.

In WA I have a compact setup and in the guest bedroom closet I have one of those wide 3 drawer plastic storage units with stuff in it and I store my batting there also, I take up 1/2 the closet. My fabric stash is in one of those under the bed plastic storage containers (actually, I think I have 2 of them under the bed now).

I usually work on certain things in WA that I don't work on in CA. Projects in work up there now are making clothes for 3 baby dolls to donate to a local battered woman's shelter and I'm working on a wonky bed runner I started last summer and hope to complete this summer. I do my fmq on my sewing machine.

Here's some pictures. I have to sew in the living room so need to be as self-contained as possible.
Attached Thumbnails dsc01252.jpg   dsc01254.jpg   dsc01256.jpg  
Old 04-15-2012, 07:45 PM

We winter in Arizona. I take my sewing machine, serger & rulers with me. Don't bring fabric or patterns with me. I buy what I need in AZ. I tend to bring lots of fabric back to Alberta with me because it is so expensive here.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:28 AM

We winter in TX, I take as much as I have room for in the RV. A light Brother sewing machine, enough fabric to finish the project I am currently working on and a little bit of a stash for the next project. I always buy more fabric, I agree it is cheaper there than at home most of the time. I also put my cutting board and rulers under the mattress so they don't get damaged in transit. I think the least I would bring would be a hand applique project, I could probably fit everything I need in a small plastic storage box.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:41 AM

I take one major project then other smaller ones. I have duplicates of mats and rulers and sewing machines (I've kept over the years). My fav sewing machine is my Bernina and I'm just thinking that I need to haul her back and forth. She has a stitch regulator and is just my best friend. awwwwe!!!!!
Old 04-16-2012, 05:54 AM

to texas sunshine and mtngrl- we also winterbirded to texas down here in san benito. at fun and sun. we did this for 4 years and now we are permanent. fun and sun is a 55 and older retirement park. it is really nice down here with a lot of activities. i go to the sewing room quite a bit- a lot of knowledgeable ladies there.