Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How much stuff do other snowbirds lug back and forth >

How much stuff do other snowbirds lug back and forth

How much stuff do other snowbirds lug back and forth

Old 04-16-2012, 06:45 AM

I bring my machine, and a small plastic box with necessary notions. Then I bring projects that are already cut out and ready to sew. Can't bring the cutting board. One box with each project in it's own plastic bag. Also bring some hand work--English paper piecing. This past year, I still hadn't finished everything, so planned it pretty perfectly.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:54 AM

wow, the rest of you do it different than i do. i haul 4 sewing machines 7 large bins of fabric most of my rulers and several cutting mats, an ironing board and iron. Have been doing it for 5 years. hubby complains gently. finished 2 king and 6 twin and 12 lap quilts, 4 art quilts this winter. i spend every evening sewing while hubby watches his tv. We live in a 36 foot fifth wheel and it all fits.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by susan... View Post
wow, the rest of you do it different than i do. i haul 4 sewing machines 7 large bins of fabric most of my rulers and several cutting mats, an ironing board and iron. Have been doing it for 5 years. hubby complains gently. finished 2 king and 6 twin and 12 lap quilts, 4 art quilts this winter. i spend every evening sewing while hubby watches his tv. We live in a 36 foot fifth wheel and it all fits.
WOW! How much do you leave home?
Old 04-16-2012, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

Can I be a reverse snowbird and escape from Florida????
Old 04-16-2012, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by solstice3 View Post
Can I be a reverse snowbird and escape from Florida????
LOL, I have been in Florida for about 26 years now, and would never move back to the cold and snow!! I just avoid the Disney area...Home of the Florida Rat!!
Old 04-16-2012, 08:53 AM

"usually Florida," Texas or another southern state!

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
A "snowbird" is someone who leaves the snowy north and flies or drives to warmer climates (usually Florida) to bask in the warmth while all of the rest of us shiver our butts off through the winter. This year though, I think it was as warm here as it was there.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:48 AM
Power Poster

I travel a lot in my job and usually have to stay for at least two weeks or more in any one place. I Fed Ex my portable machine and basic supplies ahead. It's there at the hotel waiting for me. I either forward it on to another location or send it home. I keep it packed ready to send when it's shipped home. The boxes last a long time. I keep my quilt in progress in my suitcase. I don't want it lost. I can replace a machine but not the time I have in my quilt. DH will most times come with me if I'm at a place he wants to visit. He works from home so can do his job anywhere. We stay gone as much as we are home but usually end up North in the winter and South in the summer. LOL.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:43 AM

Location: Winter/South Florida;Summer/anywhere & everywhere North

DH and I call ourselves sunbirds We've lived in Fort Lauderdale for over 30 years and when we retired 4 years ago we bought an RV. This will be our 4th summer we'll head north to flee the heat. We generally head to the Northwest, Colorado our favorite state so far. I take my featherweight and pack a couple of plastic project boxes with mini projects that I kit from my stash here at home. I can't pack enough to keep me busy for 5 months but what a good excuse to visit as many new quilts shops as I can
Old 04-16-2012, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
Just completed unpacking at home, and realized that it is too much stuff and next year it will be less. So looking for advice from those who have lived the snowbird life for more than two years. Do you plan projects ahead and take only the fabric and patterns for those? Do you bring some or all of your scraps? Rulers? Possible embellishments? Do you just piece in one place and then quilt and bind in he other? If I don't start restricting how much quilting stuff I haul, my clothes aren't going to fit. Well, there's always the two sets of clothes alternative.
I will be watching this thread carefully. DH has been retired for almost 2 years and we recently decided that we can no longer handle these mid-western winters. We have started looking for houses in AZ. We are thinking that we won't move there, but will become snowbirds. Our kids and grandkids are still in MO. We have already discussed the fact that I can't live through the winter without quilting. I can't possibly take my whole stash, but I have no idea what to take and what to leave behind. Maybe I will just have to have a stash in each place. lol
Old 04-16-2012, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by baskets4moo View Post
DH and I call ourselves sunbirds We've lived in Fort Lauderdale for over 30 years and when we retired 4 years ago we bought an RV. This will be our 4th summer we'll head north to flee the heat. We generally head to the Northwest, Colorado our favorite state so far. I take my featherweight and pack a couple of plastic project boxes with mini projects that I kit from my stash here at home. I can't pack enough to keep me busy for 5 months but what a good excuse to visit as many new quilts shops as I can
I like the way you think! lol