Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How much stuff do other snowbirds lug back and forth >

How much stuff do other snowbirds lug back and forth

How much stuff do other snowbirds lug back and forth

Old 04-22-2012, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by TexasSunshine View Post
Lots of snowbirds come to Texas for the winter, we welcome them.
As one of those Winter Texan...I can agree that we feel very welcome in Pharr and McAllen area. Big thanks for that, we just love it there.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by JoanneS View Post
Great timing, because I just finished packing! For the first time in YEARS, I'm not sending boxes via UPS. I'm sort of cheating, because DH gave us both new suitcases for Christmas that are about TWICE as big as the old ones. We travel on Southwest, so we can check BOTH of them, so I'll be packing twice as much stuff as usual - hurrah.

Seriously, though, I've been doing this for about 10 years, and am finally pretty organized. I have sewing rooms, stashes and machines at both houses - and I used JoAnn coupons to buy as much as possible for them. I bought a fabulous Pfaff Creative Sensation this winter, which my dealer is shipping to my spring,summer,fall home. That's where I do the majority of my quilting & embroidery. I piece tops in my snowbird home and take them to the other home for quilting. I'm so lucky to have a great dealer in Tucson - lots of creative classes - including several 2 day Sit N Sews with well-known teachers. This year we had Sue Hausmann TWICE! and Steve Wilson of Anita Goodesign. And John Deer of John Deer designs. I go to these every year, learn a lot, have fun and buy stuff at discounted prices. 3/4 of what I'm taking in my suitcases is what I bought for my hobby! I don't have to pack clothes, because we have seasonal clothes in each house.

In each house, I always have a box labeled 'CT' or 'AZ' for the other house, and I put things in it as the months progress, so I don't forget to take them when I leave. I also write notes to myself about what I don't want to forget. It USUALLY works.

I have bought duplicates of some of my favorite quilt books at Bookman's, a great used book store in Tucson. You might be able to do that via Amazon or Ebay. Or you could copy pages you want to use instead of hauling the entire book back and forth.

During the year, I copy pages in my quilting magazines on my printer that I might use in the 'other' house.

I have printers & computers in both houses, and I carry a laptop & a portable hard drive back & forth. I back up quilt stuff and pictures on the PHD. Thank goodness - because we've had both desk tops die in the past year!
Lucky you....to have quilting classes close by, we have to travel 30 minutes to a decent quilt shop from McAllen Texas. Wal-Mart and Handkock carry some fabric, good for emergency. We have wintered for 7 years, and I'm as organized as you are. We've got it together, or maybe it's because we can afford to do so.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:39 PM

I spend my winters in Fl. I have a cutter, board, ruler and cheap sewing machine that I leave there. I come armed with patterns and plans. I sew all my quilt tops while in the south and with being so close to Joann;s I can get the vibrant colors I want. I vacuum pack my treasures and then spend the summer short arm quilting. I also knit and leave a set of needles there so I am just bringing home my finished product. With planning my crafts don't take up 1/2 the space they used to, The vaccum bag really makes the difference and I just iron on the other end when I get home.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:23 PM

I love this thread. (excuse the pun). Anyway, I am not a snowbird but a full timer. We live in a 42 foot RV and have sold the house. Therefore, we take all my sewing items in the RV. I have 2 machines. A light weight Janome that I take to classes and a large Baby Lock Ellisimo just for fun 😄.

I have all the storage under the bed (60x24x24, plus a large flat area for rulers etc) and four cabinents in the living room over the desk. I store both machines at the foot of the bed and the full size ironing board behind the shower.

Storage is not a major problem but I have to send the completed items off to someone who likes them because I have no place to store all these items.

Good luck Krisba in your travels. Maybe we will see you on the road as there are tons of us driving around the country.

This year we are in Arizona and have fallen in love with this beautiful area. Today we moved Verde Valley, Arizona.