Any Beagle lovers?

Old 04-29-2012, 01:02 PM

We use Advantix on our little girl (Jack Russell/Corgie) year round, as we have just had a very warm winter and have a wooded area right outside our back fence. However, we had a Beagle/Corgie mix before the little girl we have now and she was a wonderful dog. If you have a secure fenced area, a dog door will be one of the best investments you can make. The best way to secure a fence so they can't dig out (Beagles are notorius diggers) is to wire chicken wire along the bottom of the fence, turn the ends up on the chicken wire and then put dirt and sod over that. When the dig down, their pads will hit the sharp ends of the chicken wire and they will eventually stop trying to dig out. Good luck with your girl. She looks like a real beauty.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:21 PM

my ex had 12 at one time back east. They are wonderful furbabies. They are so loving. They were great with the kids too. Her friend the cocker are also real good babies. She is going to love where you live. Just remember they are hunters so they may find a rabbit scent to do whats natural. Ours back east liked deer but one that liked rabbits to play with LOL. Her name was susie, such a cutie. Needless to say we lived by the woods and in those days lived off the land. and fishing in the summer for the freezer. good thing I was young then I don't think I could do all that now.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by alwayslearning View Post
Beagles, like bassets, follow their nose. They do not mean to run away, they just have to follow that scent. I am sure that is how our basset ending up in the shelter where we found her. Also, my husband had her on the leash once when she saw a rabbit. That dog didn't weigh but 50 lbs, knocked over my husband (200 lbs) to chase the rabbit. Enjoy!
Yep, that's the truth. I don't have a beagle (but I do have Leo, who is half Basset & my DS has a full-blooded basset) but have been around quite a ew. They ARE beagle & DO follow their nose but they also are sweet, sweet, sweet. You are an angel to adopt a rescue dog. Y'know my motto?" Rescued is my favorite breed"! Pictures of sweet Maggie please!
Old 04-29-2012, 02:56 PM

I refer to this site quite a bit ---> http://dogs.about.com/?nl=1
Old 04-29-2012, 03:10 PM

She is adorable & I know you & her will very soon have your "signals" worked out... LOL! I've had dogs all my life & each & every one has had its own signal. We had a Golden Retriever who shook her head, this making her dog tags jangled a certain way & that meant "out". I had a cocker spaniel who would sit by the bed & that meant out (it was fine if I as in the bed but if I were in the kitchen -- PROBLEM). The trick I've found works best is just to take them out LOTS. And praise them to high heaven when they potty nice outside. Poor Maggie... she probably doesn't know what hit her. And she probably misses her sibling. But she's so lucky to have a new, loving home with lots of walks!
Old 04-29-2012, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Grandma Peg View Post
She looks like a sweety and very happy. My son has one and is the most loveable little thing but you have to watch her cuz she is a character. Don't appreciate any animal on my table and she can jump that high. We use a portable invisible fence when she's here so she doesn't take off.
My DS's basset hound clumbs on to their dining room table with her stumpy little legs. Once we missed her, looked in the dining room & she was standing on the table, eating a whole stick of butter. It was funny, tho not so much when she was sick later... LOL! Yep... they are food hounds. It's weird but my Leo isn't. He really could care less about food (except Cherrios). Tug toys are his thing!
Old 04-29-2012, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by LeslieFrost View Post
Yes, the link worked fine! Lucy was beautiful and you did a great job with her story.

Maggie is improving already. I took her out to pee about an hour ago, and she did her business right away and turned to me to get her treat, and then was ready to go back in the house. Earlier today, I had to call her over to me to get her treat for peeing outside. I think she's getting it! Pretty soon, I'll take her out again, and then put her back into her crate for the night. We'll see how the night goes. She's spent an hour in the crate a couple of times this evening, and she's finally relaxed enough to dose off for awhile. As a matter of fact, both Maggie and my husband are asleep in front of the TV right now!

I had numerous people give me tips about using a crate when we got Yankee (our baby before Leo). The best tip was to give them a Kong filled with low-fay peanut butter & only give it to them when they're in their kennel. It works like a charm! Now, when Leo sees me get the peanut butter jar, he runs & gets in his crate! Just an idea. Kong isn't paying me... LOL!
Old 04-29-2012, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Robbi5 View Post
She is adorable! We have a 1 year old beagle, his name is Copper. He is always happy, loyal, loves people, sensitive. The big problem with beagles is their nose. It gets them into all sorts of trouble. When they are following their nose, the rest of their brain turns off! We have had many beagle chases around the neighborhood, when he has gotten out the front door and has seen a cat. If you do a fence, make it low to the ground, as ours will try and dig under to get out.
He has been the best dog with the kids, he gets lots of attention, but doesn't like to be left alone.
Yes, like Doghousemom says, they have trouble with their ears. when ours is sleeping, I will flip over an ear to air it out.
Enjoy your new girl!
I wonder if "abandonment issues" are common in hounds? Leo (the half Basset) really has abandonment issues. What I always say is that he doesn't want to be with you. He doesn't want to be by you. He wants to be ON you... LOL!

The vet told us to do the same thing with his ears. Also, you can use a banana clip & put them on top of their heads to air them out.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by LeslieFrost View Post
Thanks for all the advice! After just 24 hours, we're in love with her. She has not barked much, has not peed in the house again (we take her out whether she signals for it or not). She has accepted her crate -- goes in it to nap -- and slept in it fine last night for six hours with no accidents.

I can see that ticks will be an issue, however. There are lots of them in the woods here. We pulled a half dozen off her yesterday. We're checking her over every time she's outside. We did put the flee and tick stuff on her yesterday, which the Humane Soc. apparently had not been doing. Does anyone have experience with tick repellant? Should we use it more than once a month? Can we?

Keep it coming! I'm a newbie at this.
We've been putting Frontline (flea & tick juice) on Leo since we got him in December & I still keep finding ticks on him. I called my vet to ask (make friends with whoever answers the phone at the vet... LOL!) is it was just me or if other people were having the same problem & she said that ticks were AWFUL here in WI this year (since the winter was so mild). I live in fear that Leo will get Lyme disease (which Yankee had which is what caused him to have seizures which is why we eventually had to have him put to sleep when we couldn't control them even with 9 pills a day).
Old 04-29-2012, 04:43 PM

I lost my first beagle the day after Christmas...she was about 14 and had back problems. I found a lemon beagle the beginning of Feb at a Humane society....she is 7 and had been there for 5 weeks... she came home with me. Molly is more "verbal" than Pokey was but a sweet girl. I learned with Pokey that they will eat and eat so she gets fed in the morning and evening. Your new girl is a beauty! Congrats and enjoy her...they are sweet dogs.... yes they do follow their noses being scent hounds... Deb