Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Dilema, finish on the 103 when is "good enough" enough? >

Dilema, finish on the 103 when is "good enough" enough?

Dilema, finish on the 103 when is "good enough" enough?

Old 05-07-2012, 07:33 PM

Default Dilema, finish on the 103 when is "good enough" enough?

Hey all, I have discovered the reason for my refinishing problems on my 103. I was suspiscious that the finish on it was not acting like shellac over Japan Black and Glenn has confirmed that some of the Prussian ( an I assume other euro) machines were indeed finished in laquer. I will test mine tonight.

My machine head has some chipping/missing paint, and the decals are not great but they are all there and readable. I have three options, one: leave well enough alone and let it exude its "rustic charm" Two: I can try to blend in some of the chips and with some hand applied laquer ( never worked well for me on cars, laquer has always been best sprayed) or Three: I can strip it respray the laquer ( multiple coats of hand rubbed black laquer is a thing of beauty) and attempt to repaint the decals by hand ( or teach myself the art of gold leaf ).

I will try to post some pictures of the problem area's and give you a better idea of what I am working with...
but, what do you all think you would do ?

I suppose there is always option X: strip it and powder coat it sublime green ( 60 chrysler hotrod color ) and make it truly worthless to all but me ;-)

Dan in Alaska
Old 05-07-2012, 07:36 PM
Banned

I see NO problem with the Green myself!

Jacquie in OK, who misses Alaska terribly!
Old 05-07-2012, 07:40 PM

I was thinking Sublime green wrinkle with flat black 'Singer" lettering, then all i would need would be a '68 hemi 'Cuda to go with it
Old 05-07-2012, 11:24 PM

Considering that these old machines don't really bring big prices when sold and their value is always subjective, to me, repainting is a non-issue. If you're happy with the appearance and performance of the machine as is, leave it alone. If it needs work, do it. I have seen some absolutely beautiful repainted machines, and will probably paint another one of these days. Green is a lovely color, my son's favorite in fact. Basically, I say, please yourself.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:28 AM

Well I have given the old girl "splotchalaria" we shall see if I can blend in the touch up. If not and I end up unhappy we may be in for a re-spray. Been a long time since I seen the depth of a hand rubbed black laquer paint job.

Then again I might get impatient and just run her ugly for now.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:04 AM

Dan,

I guess I'll be the odd one out right now. I'd leave it as it. They may not be worth tons of money, but it has it's history right now and once you paint it that's gone.
It's not bad enough to really need it like my New Home (the mouse apartment) so I'd just clean it up and use it. I got several like that. One even has needle rash down to the bare metal and it's gonna stay that way.

Joe
Old 05-08-2012, 05:33 AM

Why not paint it? There are so many of these old girls around a new paint job may destroy its antique value but I sure don't think it will decrease the resale value...if anything it will increase its value. If it were a somewhat "rare" machine I wouldn't do it but a "common" model sure....I have 2 FW and 2 301's and one of each is going to be painted...just can't decide what colour to paint them! I have a couple of turquoise machines and a couple of greenies and I love sewing on my colourful ladies!

J
Old 05-08-2012, 06:38 AM

joe, i think i am siding with you on this one, kinda,
lets say "conditionally"
I just dont ever sell anything, and have yet to buy something for resale value. I tend to value stuff that is either high prescision and "fine" or simplistic and elegant. either case I am looking at the long haul. SO repaint would not ruin anything for me and the one old rusty 15 I have IS going to be flat sublime with flat black and gun blued "chrome" bits but that finsh ( and likely the whole machine) is beyond salvage.

This machine I intend to use... alot, and well I cant look at bare metal and neglect, that jsut is not taking care of my tools.
I wont be stripping it clear down (as nice as it would be to say I have 17 coats of hand rubbed laquer and a truely beautiful machine)

So for now I have found a nice liquid paint that is being carefully apllied to the bare metal chips and feathered in, so at least it will all be one color it will retain its used and worn finish and much of its character, but the one inch patch of bare metal on top of the head where something was dropped on it in storage will at least be repaired 'as if it was a working machine" kept in service but protected from further damage kind of thing.

should be done messing about with it either tonight or at least in a few days.
then it is on to the table.
I have been thinking more and more about doing a quilt with this and maybe one of my 128's. Got looking at some of my uniforms and it seems I have at least two patterns that are no lnger in use.... so I should have a ton of raw materials. I think I will try to use this machine as the "quilter" as even though it is not a long arm there is a ton of room under there and I am sure I can shove a goodly amount of fabric though it.

Thanks for the perspective everyone, I will keep you all updated, hopefully with some finished pictures here soon.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:49 AM

Do all three. It is your sewing machine. Leave as is until you decide that is really needs a re-do, try to restore the chipped lacquer and if that doesn't look good to you, go for the repaint. I would love to see the sublime green hot rod 103. Way cool!
Old 05-08-2012, 06:51 AM

get me a part for my 15 and I'll hotrod that one ;-)