Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric overload >

Fabric overload

Fabric overload

Old 05-11-2012, 08:21 AM

Trust me, I DO only wash and iron the stuff I'm keeping, so that's no problem. And I don't mind the sorting of it, in fact I enjoy that part. It's just a matter of too much fabric, too little time! Every piece I keep, I envision a pattern to use and the quilt that will result...but in the end no quilts get done.

I have many times felt paralyzed by my stash, and this load has added to that feeling immensely. Not too long ago I destashed, and it helped, and then all this fabric came. I guess I need to be tougher about what I will keep, but it's hard to let it go.

I do love fabric...
Old 05-11-2012, 08:33 AM

I think I misunderstood your original post. Trying to clarify - I thought you were feeling overwhelmed because you're spending all your time on washing/sorting the donated fabrics, but after your second post, I'm thinking you're feeling overwhelmed because there's so much fabric and not enough time and/or people to sew them into tops?

I have a friend who also makes a LOT of quilts for charity - Linus, homeless vets, passage quilts, etc. She raised funds and invested in an Accuquilt Go! cutter. She (or a helper) will cut "kits" from the donated fabric. The kits are passed out to anyone who likes to sew, and the finished tops come back to her, and she'll either have someone tie them, or she will quilt them. This might be a great option for you, especially if you have lots of volunteers who would like to sew the tops.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:00 AM

That is exactly what I would like to do -- get this fabric into manageable bits for other people to help make into quilts. Maybe after I recover, I'll have the energy to do that. I have the Quilt Cut Pro from Alstos, so I can certainly make up some kits.

Thanks for the commiseration!
Old 05-11-2012, 09:53 AM

I understand completely where you are coming from, since I was a Project Linus coordinator. It can be overwhelming. Simply hauling boxes and bags continually is an energy drain. Sorting it and having it taking up a lot of space is another real problem.

Do you have Linus meetings or work sessions regularly? If so, I would suggest bringing the possibly usable cotton fabric unwashed to the meetings. Tell people that it is as you got it, and if they can use or (or know of anybody who can), then they are welcome to take it home. Put it out of your mind once it is gone.

If you need to put pressure on the group, tell them that whatever isn't taken goes directly to Goodwill.

Another option is to recruit other members to store the fabric. For instance, one person takes a bin/box of blues; another one takes reds. Then rotate what color boxes are brought to meetings. Also, let the whole group know who has what color, so they can ask them directly for pieces.

If you decide to make kits, keep them simple. Otherwise you are in another time trap -- always cutting, never sewing.

Best wishes! You are in a challenging situation. The only was I could escape a similar situation was to move out of state - ha!

Dayle
Old 05-11-2012, 01:19 PM

My thoughts as I was reading your posts--isn't there anyone to help you? I sorted my stash about a year ago and spent about a week washing and ironing before giving it away. The next month there was a considerable increase in my electric bill. DH was not very happy, especially since I gave the fabric away. It was not suitable for Linus or Quilts of Valor. It did make me feel good though.
Sue
Old 05-12-2012, 04:08 AM

Maybe you should put up and old fashioned clothes line. If you hang the fabric outside on a day with a light breeze it will be dry in a few minutes and not be wrinkled. Good Luck
Old 05-12-2012, 04:44 AM

I'll be looking for it on the sale section!
Old 05-12-2012, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} Is there anyone who could help you with all the sorting, washing , etc. ? it does seem like a lot of work for one person
I agree. Why is it left to you to do all the work? Anyone can iron favric. If the coordinator is into knitting, why is she in a group that quilts? And why cant she sort and iron? If i lived closer i would help you. Thanks for your willingness to do this for PL, but i think some of the other member should be helping out with the sorting, washing, ironing. That way everyone can get to the fun part.QUILTING
Old 05-12-2012, 05:51 AM

Our previous Linus coordinator also had a huge stash in a room of her house. She would offer the blanketeers to come over and take what you want to make blankets with. That helped those who couldn't afford to buy fabric but still want to help.

Our group also has a storage unit for storing fabric and extra blankets. The sewing shop we gather at also let's our group store a small supply of fabric to grab when we need it.

I know the storage unit is an expense you don't want to deal with but maybe it would help YOU get back to sewing again.

I commend you for all your hard work. I know our coordinator works really hard but she also makes it fun each and every month we get together.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} Is there anyone who could help you with all the sorting, washing , etc. ? it does seem like a lot of work for one person
I had the same thought as Sharon. You need some volunteer help.