Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unexpected fire - beware! >

Unexpected fire - beware!

Unexpected fire - beware!

Old 05-14-2012, 03:17 PM

Kay - This was bad enough but I am thankful that this wasn't worse than it was. I hope that your hand will heal just quickly and feel better really soon. This was a very scary thing to have happen and you acted quickly to handle it. I too have a Rowenta travel iron as I am sure a bunch of us do, so we all need to be careful with them!
Old 05-14-2012, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

Oh girl, you got it bad. Your rings are singed, the hand is burnt and all you can think about is the backing fabric. lol Glad you're OK and it didn't get worse.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:34 PM

This is not the first time I have heard of Rowenta irons sponaneously igniting. They should be very interested in your situation. Try contacting Underwriters Laboratory. They also will be interested.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:59 PM

I'm so sorry you got burned. I had a Dr. tell me to immediately alternate between ice water and cold water until the burn is gone. Now for any burns I get I apply EMU Oil. It works so good. And I just bought a Rowenta Travel iron and it hasn't even been taken out of the box. I am afraid to plug it in.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:09 PM

My hugs and prayers as well for a speedy recovery...
Old 05-14-2012, 04:31 PM

Owee, Owee, Oweeeeee...... Just thinking about it makes me hurt. So sorry this happened. Is the burn on your palm? What a pain. If you have not gone to the doctor and had it looked at, maybe you should. I think it depends on the size of the blister.

I burned my back on a heating pad a few years ago. There is a reason you should not fall asleep on them. I had a big blister and also deep burn. The best thing I found to use are gel band aid things. I think they are made for burns. They helped the pain and kept the blister from drying out. I could always tell when it was time to change the bandage. I found them at Walmart i think, in the First aid aisle. I don't think any ointment is needed with these. I think it is part of them. But my burn heeled fairly quickly and with no scar.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:36 PM

Mine caught on fire too. Scary stuff! I marched it back to Joanns. I only had it for a week.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:44 PM

Thanks everyone for your input regarding my iron fire. This morning I called Rowenta's customer service department. Explained to the gal the situation. She is sending me a postage paid label so I can return the iron to them. She asked me if I wanted to file a claim for the fabric and any medical expenses I had. Since I had no medical expense - other than the silvadine I already had - and I have had time to think about an alternative repair to the fabric, I said no - but I did feel they should replace the iron and tell me EXACTLY what happened - once they take it apart and look into it. She assured me they would contact me but we'll see. This iron was new about a year ago. This is the third Rowenta travel iron I have had: one handle broke and the other one finally quit heating. I like the size and weight of this little iron but now I'm a little worried about another one. Does anyone recommend another brand that is similar in size? I'm in a daze right now as to what to replace it with.

Also, I wanted to thank everyone for offering to see if my backing fabric was available from someone's stash. It is a black background fabric and the dye lots are often off enough to make it noticible. I'm going to embroidery on plain black fabric - I used it on the quilt top also - to put in a section that will compliment the quilt top. I think that will work o.k. Think I just paniced yesterday.....I'll post pictures when I have the quilt finished.

Didn't have time today to get pictures of the iron and burnt fabric, but will try to do that soon also.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:09 PM

Bless your heart and heal quickly. Thanks for the heads up on the iron!
Old 05-14-2012, 05:26 PM

I hope your hand heals quickly. I would take pictures of the fabric and your hand to document everything just in case you need it later. I have a Rowenta iron and will never ever buy another one. MIne is a little over a year old and leaks like a seive. I paid over $100 for it and it is useless. I contacted customer service and was told i was SOL. I loved the iron while it worked. It is lightweight and glides wonderfully. It leaks. Tos. I plan on taking it back to Bed Bath and Beyond tomorrow to ee if they can do anything. Good luck with your troubles. Hope the hand is OK.