Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unexpected fire - beware! >

Unexpected fire - beware!

Unexpected fire - beware!

Old 05-14-2012, 06:32 PM

So sorry to hear about your injury! Burns can be nasty and can hurt like the dickens.

Before you send the iron back to Rowenta, I would document, document, document. Also I would contact the Consumer Protection Agency and the Underwriters Laboratory and let them know what happened.

Hugs from New Hampshire...heal well and quickly.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Kay in Iowa View Post
I like the size and weight of this little iron but now I'm a little worried about another one. Does anyone recommend another brand that is similar in size?
Kay, have you seen the little Dritz "Petite Press" iron? I have had mine for a couple of years now and I absolutely love it. It has 4 temperature settings, and both the stand and the head are adjustable. It does not steam. I keep it beside my sewing machine to press small seams. I love it so much I purchased a few extra for gifts for my quilty friends and a back-up for myself. You can get them for around $25 on Amazon; Joann's and Fabric Depot also have them at $40 and you can use your 40% coupon for them. It's located on the Notions wall at Joann's, not with the rest of the irons, so when they have 50% off all notions, this iron is included!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]335401[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails mini-iron.jpg  
Old 05-14-2012, 07:43 PM
Power Poster

Glad you are on the path of recovery (you, the iron and importantly that backing!). I am never completely trusting of electrical appliances (get a bit OCD with making sure everything is off before I go out). My former MIL once told me her neighbour left a can of spray starch next to the iron (which was on)....the can exploded and caused quite a bit of damage....yet another thing to watch out for.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:47 PM

How awful! I hope your burns are not serious. I have a Rowenta travel iron that I take to quilting retreats and classes. Thanks for the warning. Please let us know what the manufacturer tells you.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:05 PM
Dee

Glad you are okay. I have one and now will be aware of what could happen.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:10 PM

when you return the iron, I would also include pictures of the damaged quilt and your injuries..You deserve to be compensated for your full losses, including the extra hours that you have ahead of you in repairing this quilt, as well as the hours of lost work..I hope you feel better soon, and they can resolve your iron issue\
Old 05-14-2012, 08:51 PM

I feel you should take the iron to the local fire department to have them look at it first. The copper wires in it are probably not the right size. Even though the UL label is on it, they could have tested some "special made" irons that had thicker wiring, and when the rest of the irons were made, they used thinner wire. I have read a lot about the danger in overheated wiring even in a house, a house can burn down from faulty wiring. I feel a lot of the items coming out of China are not up to grade and how some of this stuff is approved for sale in this country, I do not know. Let the FEDS
hire some quilters to check things out, and we could fix a lot of stuff. Be safe, all of us. God bless. Be sure to keep us updated on all of this.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry this happened to you. If you post a photo of your backing fabric, perhaps someone has some to send you. And Rowenta should send you a new iron as well as pay for any replacement fabric you might need to purchase.
PLUS any compensation for medical/pain you might have endured!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:10 PM

So sorry about your injury. Glad you are okay.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:00 AM

Oh how scary!!
I will have to tell my GF, she has one of those.

Hope you heal up fast!