Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much would you charge to take off borders and put back on? >

How much would you charge to take off borders and put back on?

How much would you charge to take off borders and put back on?

Old 05-16-2012, 06:32 PM

Default How much would you charge to take off borders and put back on?

Im working on a customer quilt, the borders were very bad. I fixed them so I could quilt it on the frame without putting a pleat in the top. The owner told me to do what I had to do. Its her first quilt top and didn't know that you had to measure and not follow the pattern instructions. Honest mistake. It really didn't take long because she used a big stitch for piecing. So what should I charge?
Old 05-16-2012, 06:56 PM

My price is $10/hr for that kind of thing. I have a great app on my iPad that counts up the time. I use it for extra pressing all those types of things.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:34 PM
Banned

I too charge $10 per hour! big stitches huh??? too bad!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:15 PM

If she used big stitches on the border, I hope you quilt the heck out of it, because those big stitches are probably holding it together and may need some added assistance:> Maybe let her know (kindly) that she should lower her stitch length in the future.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:22 PM
Power Poster

Probably about $25 for a twin or smaller. It seems like it came off easy.sounds that your cost is mostly labor plus some thread.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:23 AM

The border came off easy, he long stitches made them easy to rip out the stitches. When piecing the quilt her seams were larger than they should have been causing her blocks to be smaller, causing her quilt to be smaller than the pattern called for. So when she added the 87 inch border well they only need to be 85. So it was waving at me. I could tell as soon as I laid it out that I would have issues. I dont like putting a tuck or pleat in a quilt so I opted to take them off and cut them down for her. It turned out quite nicely. She lives in PA I live in IN so when she shipped the top she also added all her extra fabric for this quilt top just in case. Good thing because her backing was to short(stretchy fabric, I don't know what fiber content) and I had to add a piece of fabric to it also in order get it on the frame. I'm almost finished with the quilting and its coming out nicely even with all the issues. I wanted her to be proud of her accompishment on a first time quilt top. Thank for helping me out! I'll post it in a few days after I get it off the frame and bound.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by leatheflea View Post
The border came off easy, he long stitches made them easy to rip out the stitches. When piecing the quilt her seams were larger than they should have been causing her blocks to be smaller, causing her quilt to be smaller than the pattern called for. So when she added the 87 inch border well they only need to be 85. So it was waving at me. I could tell as soon as I laid it out that I would have issues. I dont like putting a tuck or pleat in a quilt so I opted to take them off and cut them down for her. It turned out quite nicely. She lives in PA I live in IN so when she shipped the top she also added all her extra fabric for this quilt top just in case. Good thing because her backing was to short(stretchy fabric, I don't know what fiber content) and I had to add a piece of fabric to it also in order get it on the frame. I'm almost finished with the quilting and its coming out nicely even with all the issues. I wanted her to be proud of her accompishment on a first time quilt top. Thank for helping me out! I'll post it in a few days after I get it off the frame and bound.
You are such a sweetheart to help her out this way. Good work.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:44 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I love long arm quilters. I use one and she goes out of her way for me. She makes my quilts look so much nicer than what they looked like when I brought them in. A good long arm quilter makes all the difference in what a quilt looks like in the end. I just turned in a king BOM that cost over $300 and was a Civil war quilt. I wanted it to be custom quilted and that would have cost me $300. Well, the LA quilter called me and said she thought I should do an all over design because of the colors of the quilt. She said a custom job wasn't going to make the blocks "pop" like I wanted them to. Well, she just lost $180 by telling me what she knew. I really appreciate her. I always use LA quilters to do my quilts and have always admired their work. So, you are so nice to go to all that trouble for that newbie. I'm glad there are people like you out there.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:43 AM

I charge $10. an hour for that kind of work.