motor for a pink atlas

Old 06-18-2012, 05:30 AM

Default motor for a pink atlas

I am looking for a motor for my pink atlas. Anyone know where I might find such an animal? I also need a slide plate cover and a belt for it. Any help would be appreciated!

Tracy
Old 06-18-2012, 06:40 AM

You can find a replacement motor easy enough but finding a pink one to match is going to be the tricky part. Can live with a black one or from a donor machine? You may want to check ebay for parts as sometimes I've lucked out and found exactly what I needed. Belts and misc. can be bought from many internet sellers, Sew Classic being one.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:27 AM

Is your machine missing the motor or is it non-functional? It may be able to be repaired if it is not totally toast. Otherwise you may have to live with a black replacement motor.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:54 AM

Black replacement motor + sandpaper + painters tape +pink spray paint + time and effort = a pink motor.

I'd try to fix the original (if there) first.

I have also run across sources for white colored motors and even non painted motors. But alas those links are in my dead hard drive.

Joe
Old 06-18-2012, 10:27 AM

I do have the motor for it but its not running up to snuff. It isn't pulling enough to turn the domahickey that turns the. . . I thingamajig that lifts the needle up and down. Also the belt is slipping, but I put that off to being an old wor e out belt
Old 06-18-2012, 10:53 AM

I'd start with a good cleaning and oiling of the machine. All the way from the top to the bottom and from domahickey to the thingamagjig. Then clean the motor out. My local guy told me he uses lighter fluid to clean the motors out.

(DISCLAIMER: This is a suggestion made by my local sewing machine repairman to help sluggish motors. Do this outside and be advised lighter fluid may ignite when you turn the motor on. It will burn off quickly with no damage to the motor. Do this at your own risk.)

He said, take the belt off and run the motor at full speed till it loosens up. If that doesn't help shoot some lighter fluid in it and then run it. He did not specify but I'm pretty sure he was talking about doing this on the brushes and commutator.

:-> Joe
Old 06-18-2012, 03:15 PM

Could be lots of things, I'm betting the machine is gunked up a bit, and you possibly need a new belt. I'd try those things first before messing with or trashing the motor.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:55 PM

i was just thinking if i could find another motor it couldnt hurt to have a spare lying around, lol. I am realtively new to this stuff, but i am loving that i can take an older machine apart and clean it and make it work better (i am not mechanically inclined at all!!!)

I got the machine for $8 and its pretty rough but its a challenge. It was frozen up completely and i have gotten as far as getting all the parts to move smoothly by the handwheel but the darn belt keeps slipping when the motor is running. Ughhh. I just had to walk away. On to my other project which is a sewmor and i think the feed dogs are not moving back and forth correctly only up and down. Anyway... thats a different story for a different day. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help!
Old 06-18-2012, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by sewingmachineaddict View Post
It was frozen up completely and i have gotten as far as getting all the parts to move smoothly by the handwheel but the darn belt keeps slipping when the motor is running.
You can tighten the belt up a bit to keep it from slipping. Just loosen the screw that holds the motor on and adjust the placement of the motor a tiny bit to put a little bit more tension on the belt, then tighten the screw again. You might have to try it a few times before you find the perfect place for your belt.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:40 PM

Did you check your foot pedal and make sure it's 100%? That made a huge difference in my machine's performance.