Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
bernette deco 500 >

bernette deco 500

bernette deco 500

Old 07-22-2012, 04:54 AM

Default bernette deco 500

I have a chance to buy this machine second hand with one embroidery card. Is it worth buying ? can I still get embroidery cards for it ? I already have a sewing machine, a bernina 430. But just the price of the embroidery unit for this is a lot more than a second hand embroidery machine.

thanks,
Joanne
Old 07-22-2012, 06:16 AM

If it takes the little cards they may be hard to come by. I own one of the first embroidery machines that Bernina sold. I have had it almost 20 years and have purchased a lot of cards for it. When I went to replace it I looked for a machine that also used the cards and a USB stick. The only one I could find was a Brother machine. Since Brother held the orginal patent that my Bernina machine was based on the cards are compatable. I like having a seperate machine for embroidery as it allows me to have something being embroidered while I am using my regular machine for sewing or quilting. I still have both my original Bernina Deco and the newer Brother embroidery machine. What I don't like about the newer machine is that it loads from the opposite side so I can not use the many accessories I purchased for the first machine on it. The cards however are compatable. Both machines use the PES format. I paid at least $1800 almost 20 years ago for the first embroidery machine and probably have that much tied up in embroidery cards and CDs. The newer Brother machine cost less than half of that and also has a USB port and a bigger sewing area. If you can get the used machine for say a third of the original price and the hoops etc. for it are in good shape it is probably a good buy. Each machine has a lot of designs built in also.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:39 AM

You need to check this one out first. There are some machines like the Bernetta that aren't made or supported by Bernina. The name makes you think it is but it's not really. If it used those little memory cards you'll have to have a reader which will cost over $100 more. I know because when I bought my Viking #1 I had to get one and paid over 150 for it and then to find out that you can't use it on any operating systema after XP; win 7 really doesn't even see it. I ended up buying a Viking Ruby and just put up my machine (after I finally got it serviced) and the black box for sale. You need to see what it takes and how to get the designs where you need them.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by craftaddict View Post
I have a chance to buy this machine second hand with one embroidery card. Is it worth buying ? can I still get embroidery cards for it ? I already have a sewing machine, a bernina 430. But just the price of the embroidery unit for this is a lot more than a second hand embroidery machine.

thanks,
Joanne
They're great little machines to start with--if you are getting for reasonable price. I had a Deco 600--it used the .pes format, which is the Brother format. I purchased PE BASIC software with card and reader for about $100. Tyhen I was able to download all the free designs I wanted and transfer to the rewritable card--no buying of design cards. Just had to remember to only access design sizes that my machine hoops would handle. Check to see if the format is .pes--this is the most economical route for you to consider.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
They're great little machines to start with--if you are getting for reasonable price. I had a Deco 600--it used the .pes format, which is the Brother format. I purchased PE BASIC software with card and reader for about $100. Tyhen I was able to download all the free designs I wanted and transfer to the rewritable card--no buying of design cards. Just had to remember to only access design sizes that my machine hoops would handle. Check to see if the format is .pes--this is the most economical route for you to consider.
I also own a Deco 600 and a Deco 650, and I have the PE Basic software as well. The designs in the machine are some of the best I've seen when sewed out, and the software allows you to download to your heart's content. You may be limited on the hoop size but that doesn't limit the number of designs available out there for the hoop size, there are millions. If the price is reasonable, go for it. For the 600 I never pay more than $300, for the 650 I never pay more than $350 (that's just for the machine, power cord, and one hoop). I've bought several of these machines and that is a reasonable price for them.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:26 AM

Thanks for all your thoughts, I appreciate. There is absolutely no info out there as the machine is quite old.

The machine does use pes format but I am thinking the price of a blank card reader etc would be too much here in France. I put a bid for €150 maximum for the machine, won't go higher than that as there is another €20 postage on top. I do know bernette is not made by bernina but am thinking for what I will do with it , it should be OK. I checked with a local shop where I bought my bernina and they think it could be fixed if it has a problem, it uses same part as brothers. If I do want more pes cards that I can put directly in the machine and don't want to pay full new price how do I search for them ? I have no idea what format these cards have. If I did buy a new machine I would get one with usb attachment and work from the computer, many more possibilites.

hugs from France,
Joanne
Old 07-23-2012, 08:12 PM

Good luck - let us know if you get it!

I have a deco 600. I haven't used it in a few years but this thread has me fired up to get it out and going. I bought a lot of cards on ebay for it. Just be sure they are the PES format and no larger than a 4x4 design size.

Does the PE basic let you edit or add lettering to a design or is it strictly for transferring a design?