Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cheater fabric >

Cheater fabric

Cheater fabric

Old 08-03-2012, 06:20 AM

I don't consider panels to be cheater fabric, to me they are something different.
Cheater fabrics are fabrics printed with a look to make them look like pieced or applique blocks.

They are a fabulous way to learn to quilt- not having to worry about ruining something you spent so much time piecing.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
i am going to jump right in here & be CRABBY! what a HORRIBLE- NEGATIVE term to apply to a wonderful useful piece of fabric!
i have never understood the whole (negative- CHEATER) reference some people place on panals- I have made some absolutely beautiful- expensive quilts using panal fabrics- i did not CHEAT- i worked hard- and created a beautiful item- which took many hours- it is no different than using any other piece of printed fabric- in my mind-anyone who considers a panal a cheater- should not be using anything except solids- ever- they should not even look at a print fabric.
there is no reason to place something so negative on a valuable resource....and panals can become fabulous quilts and other items- just like the other fabrics we use-
ok- off my soap-box for today-
I often use panels (or parts of them) along with other techniques. I know there are people who look down their noses at so-called "cheaters" but I especially like them for practicing techniques like FMQ and embellishing and for holiday decor. I always have one or two on hand for those times when I want to do a project that doesn't involve a lot of cutting of piecing. It IS an unfortunate term, however.

I have a print of a Monet painting hanging in my bedroom that I really like -- since I don't own the original, I guess it's a "cheater" painting!
Old 08-03-2012, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
i am going to jump right in here & be CRABBY! what a HORRIBLE- NEGATIVE term to apply to a wonderful useful piece of fabric!
i have never understood the whole (negative- CHEATER) reference some people place on panals- I have made some absolutely beautiful- expensive quilts using panal fabrics- i did not CHEAT- i worked hard- and created a beautiful item- which took many hours- it is no different than using any other piece of printed fabric- in my mind-anyone who considers a panal a cheater- should not be using anything except solids- ever- they should not even look at a print fabric.
there is no reason to place something so negative on a valuable resource....and panals can become fabulous quilts and other items- just like the other fabrics we use-
ok- off my soap-box for today-
I understand what you are saying. I work in a fabric store and we have ladies that come in and want to do something but do not have time it takes to cut and sew up a "normal" quilt. We also have ladies that come in and think that cutting all the little pieces and then sewing them back together is weird. So the panels and some yardage that looks like a quilt works for them. We have several pillow panels that have been turned into quilts.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:04 AM

First, I agree completely with those who do not consider panels in the category of cheater fabric. I don't know who nor when they started getting lumped into that area but it is a misnomer. They are panels... that's all.
I also think "cheater" is kind of a bad rap for what can be some lovely and useful fabrics. One of my favorite things to use them for is bordering squares when I make t-shirt quilts.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:21 AM

I made a really cute crib quilt for my GD out of a panel of toys. I hand quilted around all the toys and block lines. She absolutely loves it! It is so cute!
Old 08-03-2012, 11:23 AM

The term "cheater" has been around for about35 years when hand quilters were miffed that folks were taking short cuts to produce quilts. Thus the term. It in no way denigrates the work any of us do. I finished 1 cheater DWR which was gorgeous and I still have another one to do. I also have many wall hangings, seasonal hangings for the front door, etc. Don't be offended; just know what the term means and do you own thing.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:36 PM

http://www.nustylequilting.com

Click on their fabric panel & cheater fabrics...they have quite a few.

A cheater fabric is, for example, a double wedding ring quilt printed onto fabric. All you have to do is add the batting, backing & quilt it

Originally Posted by trrmite View Post
What is "cheater fabric" or a cheater's panel?
Old 08-03-2012, 02:48 PM

I still have several yards of cheater fabric in my stash that I bought in the 90's when I made my first quilt. My very first one has it as a backing. Back then, I didn't know it was "cheating", just that it was pretty and complemented the lone star that I had pieced for the front. After I hand quilted it, it was prettier!
Old 08-03-2012, 02:53 PM

You know, to each their own, but the thing I don't get is pre quilted panels. (not pre quilted fabric you might use in a purse, but a panel).

They are advertised as "just finish the edge to make a gorgeous blanket". Are there people who really like to just bind? That seems so odd to have that be the only part you do.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:04 PM

it is just a word to describe a panel....I do not see it as a bad term...