Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cheater fabric >

Cheater fabric

Cheater fabric

Old 08-03-2012, 06:49 PM

What a terrific idea and so creative!
Originally Posted by stormwater View Post
Another source of 'cheater' fabric can be your scanner/computer/printer. I did a king size variation on 54-40 where I scanned my first block (with a white center block), reduced it down to the size of my center square, and then printed up a bunch of reduced blocks and I used as them as part of the center squares on all the blocks in the quilt. When I machine quilted it, I stitched along where the seam lines would have been on the center block.

(in the photo, the printed fabric is lighter than in real life)
Old 08-03-2012, 07:01 PM

Well thanks for the free lessons
Old 08-04-2012, 12:06 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
i am going to jump right in here & be CRABBY! what a HORRIBLE- NEGATIVE term to apply to a wonderful useful piece of fabric!
i have never understood the whole (negative- CHEATER) reference some people place on panals- I have made some absolutely beautiful- expensive quilts using panal fabrics- i did not CHEAT- i worked hard- and created a beautiful item- which took many hours- it is no different than using any other piece of printed fabric- in my mind-anyone who considers a panal a cheater- should not be using anything except solids- ever- they should not even look at a print fabric.
there is no reason to place something so negative on a valuable resource....and panals can become fabulous quilts and other items- just like the other fabrics we use-
ok- off my soap-box for today-
Hear, hear!
That's why I've called them "efficiency panels" or fabric for years. Wish we could drop the whole "cheater" nomenclature, but I imagine it's pretty deeply ingrained.

Jan in VA
Old 08-04-2012, 11:22 AM

You know what, I have always believed that "cheater" is just a label. When I find fabric at rummage sales, I always gravitate to the fabric that is preprinted and ready to quilt since I do a lot of donation quilts and I love to practice my Long Arming on them. They are usually always cotton, so I don't have to worry about fabric content. I particularly love the baby quilts that are already printed. My last quilts for donating is the preprinted Sunbonnet sue and sam and it was so much fun to quilt.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:56 PM

This is cheater fabric and this is what I made from it
Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg   005.jpg  
Old 08-04-2012, 03:28 PM

What a GREAT idea!!!
Old 08-04-2012, 05:48 PM

I believe that "cheater fabric" is actually fabric that has a quilt design on it, such as double wedding ring { which I have seen.}The entire fabric has that design.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:40 PM

Smile Artistic Learning Quilt

Okay, I was just learning and wanted to work on machine quilting. I found this beautiful flannel material that had all the squares and I used the tan flannel for the backing. I also learned how to put in the batting. After I basted the layers together (taught myself how with the help of the quilt board), I machine quilted the queen size quilt and hand sewed the binding. I had a great time and took me 6 weeks to get it done. I call it "My Triumph" NOT a cheater quilt.
Attached Thumbnails flannelquilt_2.jpg   flannelquilt_1.jpg  
Old 08-04-2012, 07:42 PM

One of my good friends never allowed me to call it cheater fabric. She preferred to say "Convenience Fabric". She passed away a couple of years ago and I sure miss her and always think of her when I hear cheater fabric. It is fabric that looks like a quilt and no piecing involved. It would be rather convenient wouldn't it?
Old 08-09-2012, 10:13 AM

Nice reading all the comments on this.