daylily question

Old 08-26-2012, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by CindyA View Post
So leave the dead leaves on them all winter? Then can I cut them off in the spring to clean up the area? I think I'm zone 7 (Virginia).

P.S. thanks for the link. That is a great source!
I just remove the long dried out stems the daylilies bloomed on.

Daylillies are so hardy, after dividing them one year I had too many plants left to put back into the garden and threw the rest away. I must have drooped one root somewhere along the way and next spring I found a very healthy day lily plant growing along side the corner behind our shed.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey View Post
I just remove the long dried out stems the daylilies bloomed on.

Daylillies are so hardy, after dividing them I had too many plants left to put back into the garden and threw the rest away. I must have drooped one root somewhere along the way and next spring I found a very healthy day lily plant growing along side the corner behind our shed.
I dug a 12' row of daylilies earlier this spring. I gave away at least 6 feedbags full of divisions. I guess they were sort of like zucchini because I had two bags left and no takers. Here is a pic of one blooming in the feed bag. I almost hesitate to dump them on the compost pile. They may survive and take over.
Attached Thumbnails 2012-07-12-more-daylilies-001.jpg  
Old 08-26-2012, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
I dug a 12' row of daylilies earlier this spring. I gave away at least 6 feedbags full of divisions. I guess they were sort of like zucchini because I had two bags left and no takers. Here is a pic of one blooming in the feed bag. I almost hesitate to dump them on the compost pile. They may survive and take over.
Your bag of discards looks so much better than mine by the house! ROFL. I bet they would take over in the compost pile.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:17 PM
Power Poster

Mine suffered a bit from the dry weather in PA. Not as many blooms and greenery browned early. Once I noticed the die back I gave extra water to them and will be okay. It would be normal for them to go dorment in a drought or dry spell. It conserves their energy for better times.

peace
Old 08-29-2012, 10:38 AM

Mine did the same as yours. Here in NYState the high heat did a number on them, don't stress over the early dead leaves. Hopefully next year will be better and they will return with beautiful blooms. Nature goes through cycles like this and future years should be beautiful again.

Kat