Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Display shelves for vintage machines? >

Display shelves for vintage machines?

Display shelves for vintage machines?

Old 10-14-2012, 10:00 AM

Default Display shelves for vintage machines?

I am rolling around thoughts of how to 'display' my collection. I don't want to necessarily keep my vintage/antique sewing machines hidden in their cases.

If you display your machines would you happen to have any photos you would want to share?

Shari
Old 10-14-2012, 10:53 AM

I'd be interested is seeing them also! I have a FW and a Cinderella on my bookshelves, with books on either side but I have w-a-y more machines that I would like to have out just because I like looking at them.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid View Post
I'd be interested is seeing them also! I have a FW and a Cinderella on my bookshelves, with books on either side but I have w-a-y more machines that I would like to have out just because I like looking at them.
Heh heh! I'm with you.... I think my count is somewhere around 17 but don't tell hubby that.

I posed the question mainly because I am concerned about the weight of these antiques. I guess I wouldn't exactly feel safe going anything over 3 shelves high - we've got small grandchildren running around here every so often so I'm not only thinking 'display' I'm also thinking 'safety' for the little ones.

Shari
Old 10-14-2012, 12:32 PM

Well I have this as a Idea for Lite weight But strong shelves also could be less costly if you could get them at at a Use store! Also Are not that pricy new. come in diffrent widths
BUY Hollow Core Doors the type that are in your Sliding closet doors, They are Strong, will not Sag,Hold alot of Weight!
Just an Idea!
Old 10-14-2012, 12:52 PM

I just started using the link below 2 weeks ago. I really like it and think the industrial vibe goes well with the machines. I can put up to 4 on each shelf. It is sturdy and adjustable.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UHsl2YaS-uI
Old 10-14-2012, 12:54 PM

Shari - it may not be the aesthetic you're looking for but wall mounted track shelves can be immensely strong with no need to worry about little ones pulling them over onto their heads. I have some that I use for bookshelves in my office and still others that I use for my desk.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by makitmama View Post
I just started using the link below 2 weeks ago. I really like it and think the industrial vibe goes well with the machines. I can put up to 4 on each shelf.
We use these in the basement for additional storage. We currently have three machines - two 15-91s and a 16 - sitting in an open area on one of them. I'd never thought about using them for display, though.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:08 PM

Keep the ideas coming....... or I might end up like this: http://adailydoseoffiber.wordpress.c...chine-display/
(click on the individual pictures to get a better idea)

Shari
Old 10-14-2012, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by makitmama View Post
I just started using the link below 2 weeks ago. I really like it and think the industrial vibe goes well with the machines. I can put up to 4 on each shelf. It is sturdy and adjustable.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UHsl2YaS-uI
We got those shevles a few years ago from Costco for my DH's workshop. When putting them together he installed the shelves upside down in order to have a lip on each shelf so things won't roll off. They are very sturdy shelves.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mom3 View Post
Keep the ideas coming.......
or I might end up like this: http://adailydoseoffiber.wordpress.c...chine-display/
(click on the individual pictures to get a better idea)
Shari, those pictures are awesome. Thanks for sharing the link. We're also trying to decide how to display our sewing machine treasures.