Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Girls' Sewing Party >

Girls' Sewing Party

Girls' Sewing Party

Old 10-15-2012, 02:08 PM

Default Girls' Sewing Party

My daughter wants to have a sewing party for her 9th birthday. She has just started to sew. I am interested whether anyone has done one and what suggestions anyone may have. I would like to have just a few girls and have them make something that can be completed and they can take home from the party. I am open to all ideas. Thank-you, Wendy
Old 10-15-2012, 02:15 PM
Power Poster

Hand or machine sewing? If you were going to use machine(s), I'd make sure there was an adult at each machine. As far as a project is concerned, maybe a simple draw string bag, or tote bag would be good.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:18 PM

A couple yrs ago I taught 9 girl scouts to sew a tote. I had everything all ready cut out and handle made (we were under a time crunch). Before each girl sewed I had them practice sewing with the machine on a paper towel. Paper towel you say ... I forgot to bring scrap fabric. I stood right beside each one and told her what to do. Worked out perfect and each one was super proud of themselves. It will be fun, go for it.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Power Poster

this sounds like a great theme party!!!!
Old 10-15-2012, 02:25 PM

I made little heart pillows with my son's class for Valentine's day. They were much younger than your daughter but they really enjoyed the process. Of course. I was the one sewing, but the whole class had a blast. I bought one bag of pillow stuffing and also had some pieces of batting just in case. They are still talking about their heart pillows.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

If the other girls are also interested in sewing then it could be a lot of fun, but if not then your DD might be disappointed. I remember a party when I was about 7 - I had lots of games planned, but all the other kids just wanted to run around and ride on my pony. I was hurt that no one wanted to play my games, but I guess they all had fun.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:58 PM

When my daughter was 8 or 9 years old, I had a Christmas sewing/craft party for her and 5 or 6 friends. I had a SIL and another friend help me. While some of the kids painted plaster ornaments I got at Michaels the others worked on making wreaths. I got styrofoam wreaths and made sleeves by using a long length of fabric. For the width, I measured the diameter of the wreath, added about 3/4" to accommodate the bulk, added 1" (for 1/2" seam allowance), and about 5 inches (two 2 1/2" ruffles on each each side of the styrofoam form). The kids only had to sew the seam allowance, then it was turned and pressed (by adults) with the seam in the center (will be on back and not seen) and then the kids sewed two seams for the ruffles. I put tape on the sewing machine to make it easier for them to get a straight line. The center part was then put (carefully) on the form which I cut and finished with a bow. I made a hanger with thin wire. It was easy and a lot of fun. Kids loved it.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:14 PM

Pillow cases out of fun fabrics would be fairly easy and fun to do!
Old 10-15-2012, 04:20 PM

Are you going to have several machines? Maybe pair girls up to cut down on so many machines.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:21 PM

I've had 8 and 9 year olds sew a number of things -- Paper pieced Santa block sewed onto a sweatshirt, quilt block sewed onto pre-made tote, a tote, fleece headband, fleece scarves, shorts, life size doll that can wear their clothes, pillow cover made from a single simple quilt block.

By 9 most kids will have the manual dexterity and attention span to cut and sew quite well. Ironing is one thing I wouldn't have them do.