Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
My Attempt to Finish My Organizing!! >

My Attempt to Finish My Organizing!!

My Attempt to Finish My Organizing!!

Old 10-18-2012, 06:48 AM

Default My Attempt to Finish My Organizing!!

So, after my professional organizer came (and we did make a LOT of progress), I found that I had some "extra" room in the Guest/Toy/Grandkids room so the overflow from my sewing room just "flowed" right into there! It is not quite totally organized yet and I have stacks of containers, etc. all over the place.

Then, my DGS came to spend the night (the one in my avatar who is now 2 years old!) Well, he immediately headed to "his" room and yelled "Nana, come here! Move this stuff; it's in my way'!" Yes, he's very verbal for his age. So I decide to work in the room while he played. He wanted to sit in his crib and play with toys so that worked well. Then, I asked him if he wanted his crib moved to an opposite wall which would give me more room. He said "yes" so I move it...with him in it..and before I can start "organizing" again, he said "No, No, Nana, move it back"!!! Well, guess who won!! LOL

At least, I tried!!
Old 10-18-2012, 07:38 AM

Hey any start is good. You should be proud that you took the bull by the horns and got started and mostly done
Old 10-19-2012, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
Hey any start is good. You should be proud that you took the bull by the horns and got started and mostly done
What a great start indeed! I just hate to be a whiner, but I can never get past first base when I begin to organize. I know two of my problems -1) the room is multi purposed (two hobbies and home office all in one) and only 12 x 12; and 2) have a hard time parting with "stuff." I've already donated ALL of my yarn so that's gone. Also have donated all non-cotton fabrics (ouch!). But that's as far as it's gotten. I'll begin to purge an area, get bogged down and give up. I don't know the answer except to hire a professional, but that is out of the question. A couple of friends have offered to help but I know that they "get rid of stuff" -- Yikes! So I wallow in piles and piles of organized disorganization.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:36 PM

I think we just need a bigger house! We doubled in size when we moved here, but that was 12 years ago. I've gotten lots of fabric, sewing machines and scrapbook stuff since then!
Old 10-20-2012, 08:47 AM

I dream of building over the Garage. It's a wide 2 car and extra deep. I could finally get all my stuff together instead of in 2 upstairs bedrooms and down in the basement. Oh well, when we win the lottery. LOL
Old 10-22-2012, 04:10 AM

funny story, they are worth moving earth to have them around
Old 10-27-2012, 09:05 AM

Gail it sounds like you have made some progress. You got rid of the yarn and fashion fabric.

You are ahead of me. I have a smaller room, about 10X11 and at one point it was fairly organized. Then I needed to put in a bed, dresser etc. I had to move out my bookcase, many of my totes etc.

Now it is a mess, the family room is too as that is where the shelves and totes wound up.

I have given away much of my yarn, except the fluffy yarn used to make scarves. I have not given away a single piece of fashion fabric and I have 100s of metres of it.

This weekend my priorities are to pack my Secret Santa package. Finish my ornament exchange gift, then if there is any time left over, trying to do some tidying up.

Originally Posted by GailG View Post
What a great start indeed! I just hate to be a whiner, but I can never get past first base when I begin to organize. I know two of my problems -1) the room is multi purposed (two hobbies and home office all in one) and only 12 x 12; and 2) have a hard time parting with "stuff." I've already donated ALL of my yarn so that's gone. Also have donated all non-cotton fabrics (ouch!). But that's as far as it's gotten. I'll begin to purge an area, get bogged down and give up. I don't know the answer except to hire a professional, but that is out of the question. A couple of friends have offered to help but I know that they "get rid of stuff" -- Yikes! So I wallow in piles and piles of organized disorganization.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by GailG View Post
The easiest way for me is to start in one corner and work for 30 - 60 minutes at a time, one or two days a week until I am done. Have boxes for give- away, sell, and "place somewhere else". Be sure to have a large bag handy for throw-away. Periodically check the "place somewhere else" box as you go along to be sure you have the right amount of space for it in its new home. It helps to put like things together for later use. For instance, I helped a friend organize her sewing space after a move. She does mostly scrap quilts but she also repairs vintage quilts so her vintage material was put in a seperate area away from her other fabrics. Good luck.