1953 Commodore has arrived.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:43 AM

Default 1953 Commodore has arrived.

My last GW buy for some time .... I hope, got here today.

It's an HA-1 / 15 clone badged Commodore. On the badge under the "COMMODORE SEWING MACHINE CO." is the typical DELUXE then a date of 1953. Making is just a year younger than me. There is no J-A number or other identifying markings on it other than a number cast into the underside of the bed.

The machine is filthy through and through. The spring on the slide plate is broken, and the little tension wheel for the bobbin winder wheel is missing. The case is in real bad shape from water damage.
Luckily the machine didn't suffer too bad and turns free with no binding.

I went after this machine for one thing .... the motor. It has a Belgelcor TYPE UV-73 motor. The exact motor I needed to make my HOTHER complete again. If this motor don't work, at least I'll have a couple brush caps to put on my original one.
Once I know for sure I'll put the used motor I got from the LSMG that has been on the HOTHER on the Commodore.

There is one other thing this machine will be good for ... if it sews properly that is. It will help get my Edison fixed. Internally they are identical. So once the Commodore is up and running I'll use it as a guide to reset everything in the Edison.
I might be doing this later this year when it's snowing, but the motor switch will done very quickly.

Joe
Old 10-19-2012, 11:45 AM

Oh one question ... how do I get that bandage tape off the bed. That stuff is ancient and well stuck.

Joe
Old 10-19-2012, 03:20 PM

Joe, use Goo Gone.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:38 PM

Goo Gone .......... I think I might have some out in the garage. I'll check.

Thanks.

Joe
Old 10-19-2012, 04:40 PM

Some good news about the Commodore. It sews beautifully. The Belgelcore motor runs great. I've already started on the oiling by feeding it copious amounts of Tri-Flow oil and now it spins like the insides are floating on oil.

Joe
Old 10-19-2012, 10:11 PM

I prefer Un-Do over Goo Gone. It is safe enough to use on photos, so I have no fear of it harming my machine's finish.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Oh one question ... how do I get that bandage tape off the bed. That stuff is ancient and well stuck.

Joe
Triflow Triflow Triflow
Old 10-20-2012, 03:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Some good news about the Commodore. It sews beautifully. The Belgelcore motor runs great. I've already started on the oiling by feeding it copious amounts of Tri-Flow oil and now it spins like the insides are floating on oil.

Joe
I've gotten machines I wanted just for parts and then they clean up and work better than the one I wanted to fix... just happened yesterday. I was wanting parts - I got perfectly good machines... bummer eh??? well??? really......
Old 10-20-2012, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by MimiBug123 View Post
I prefer Un-Do over Goo Gone. It is safe enough to use on photos, so I have no fear of it harming my machine's finish.
I haven't heard of this - what is Un-Do and where do you find it at? Goo Gone has been a long time dollar store treasure of mine...it will be difficult to compete with! I once spilled an entire can of white paint on the carpet...guess how I removed it? LOL* I'm awfully loyal to my beloved Goo Gone.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter View Post
I haven't heard of this - what is Un-Do and where do you find it at? Goo Gone has been a long time dollar store treasure of mine...it will be difficult to compete with! I once spilled an entire can of white paint on the carpet...guess how I removed it? LOL* I'm awfully loyal to my beloved Goo Gone.
Ha Ha Ha - My DH won't let me touch paint - not even an un-opened can... I did in our brand new garage once upon a time. Then after he threw the fit he & his buddy gutted a deer in there, hung it up and hosed the blood all over the walls... smirk