Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Buying the right car, truck or SUV.....??? >

Buying the right car, truck or SUV.....???

Buying the right car, truck or SUV.....???

Old 11-06-2012, 05:28 PM

Default Buying the right car, truck or SUV.....???

We will be moving soon back to the States and are looking into buying an used vehicle. Most likely we will buy a SUV, due to my husband's bad back, it will be easier to get in and out the car for him. And of course it should has fairly good gas mileage. We like the Chevy Equinox.
So, my question to you, what do you recommend? Thanks for all your input.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:33 PM

I have an older Chevrolet Tahoe...a beast, but I love her. She has the big engine and doesn't get great mileage in town but does well on the road. They are also available in a hybrid version...don't know what kind of mileage that one gets but it might be worth a look. Mine has heated seats,leather, AC, sunroof, Bose stereo and all the luxuries you could ask for. And,like I said, I love her. I also have back problems but it doesn't bother me in this SUV...
Old 11-07-2012, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

I just bought a 2012 Silverado, crew cab LTZ really loaded with remote start.It has all the things momto5's Tahoe has and more. I love it and love a pickup because it is so easy to get in and out of. We drive 32 miles round trip to and from work. Gas mileage is good and it is driven short distances and don't worry about gas prices. We bought it in April. Our Granddaughter in law bought an Equinox, not much higher than a car.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:43 AM

Ive had nothing but Honda's for the past 20 years and have never needed a repair. Very good cars.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:36 AM

don't know your age. but i see a lot of seniors are buying vans. the height is right for getting in and out, without bending or stooping. love my chrys van.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:53 AM

Toyota 4-runner!
Old 11-07-2012, 05:21 PM

I also have a bad back, the only thing that I make sure any vehicle I drive has, is a seat heater (they are wonderful!)
Old 11-08-2012, 04:10 AM

Take a look at the Kia Soul - not a big vehicle, but so easy to get in and out of. One of the reasons that I selected it (besides the 28-30 mpg) is that I need to transport my 83 year old mother. It is a very comfortable car to get in and out of - no climbing up into it, or flopping down into it. Just the right height. Great vehicle - we have had it for a year and we still love it!
Old 11-08-2012, 04:24 AM

Toyota Rav4-great all around, not to big or small, great fuel mileage 28-30 mpg- plenty of space, fold down back seat, and our 4 cyclinder model can get up and move when needed. Toyota's seem to last forever.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:39 AM

I currently have a Kia Sorento which replaced my Kia sportage. I had my Sportage probaby around 12 yrs or so. Never a moments trouble. In fact it had over 150,000 miles on it, and was still using the same brakes from the factory. The few minor things that did go wrong the dealers were so great. I could not have asked for better service. I only replaced it because of the mileage and I wanted another Sportage, but they are very much in demand here because I could not find one that I liked. So we went with the Sorento. I love it!!! I have had her 3yrs now, and she has never been to the shop. In fact, well I don't drive alot, but she is due for an oil change. I just got the 3000 miles on her that they suggest for oil changes. I know alot of folks want to buy American, and honestly I would not disagree. But give me an American car for the same price with all the bells and whistles and I will go that way, and of course the dependablity. So far, my Kia's have been great and I would not think of changing.