Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Encouragement Please >

Need Encouragement Please

Need Encouragement Please

Old 11-19-2012, 04:59 AM

Default Need Encouragement Please

I have made lots of quilts that I thought challenging, the Lone Star, Dahlia, Double Wedding Ring, Several Baltimore Albums and the Snake River Log Cabin, but I have started one that I need some encouraging. I have cut the strips and started sewing the sets for the Diamond Jubilee Bargello. It said to read all instructions before starting. Needless to say it has me shaking in my boots. So far it is clear as mud. If I didn't have the investment in the material, although I am not usually a quitter, I would seriously think about it. Please make me believe I can do it. Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:06 AM

If you can do a Double Wedding ring, and the Lone Star---you can do anything!! I look and drool over those 2 patterns, and they are on my bucket list...Take a deep breath and slowly read thru the directions step by step..sometimes it helps me to draw a sketch of what they are saying for each step..Good luck and post pics of your masterpeice when you are done!! ( hi from Lakeland!)
Old 11-19-2012, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

Oh my goodness, with that list of accomplishments under your belt you can do a bargello with one hand tied behind your back. You will be able to do this just fine, it is just strip piecing. I often need to read instructions several times before it "clicks". Also remember that many pattern instructions are written as though you have never even made a 4 patch, let alone the quilts you have made. I just recently ordered two Judy Niemeyer patterns and started reading through the instructions and like you, thought I had definitely bitten off more than I could chew. But I took a deep breath and went through them again and realized about half of the written directions were explaining how to PP. LOL. So don't worry. Study the placement diagram that hopefully came with this quilt pattern. Label your color/strip placement and organization is the key to a bargello. You CAN do this. No encouragement necessary. You are quilter and I hear you ROAR!
Old 11-19-2012, 05:25 AM

I love a challenge!!! Go for it. If your sewing skills are good enough to complete the other patterns you mentioned, then you can surely do this one!! Be sure and post when finished! I can't wait to see it!
Old 11-19-2012, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

With all the other accomplished patterns you've done you know you can do it. Are your stresses quilt related or other things? If the holidays are adding to it maybe think about doing it in chunks where you know you have good stopping and starting points and can pick up where you leave off. I want to quilt during the holidays but I know it will be small or mindless sewing, nothing I can stop and leave for a while.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

I agree with the other posters. With all those advanced patterns completed, you should be able to do this one too. Sounds like you are worried about the $$ invested in the fabric and that's also adding pressure. You don't want to make a mistake & ruin it... Is there any way that you could use some scrap fabric and make a mini bargello? I think working thru a small version will give you the confidence and help you work out the kinks.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:52 AM

Shew girl, you can do it! Take a breath, pet the dog, have a cup of coffee and come back to it. You're just psyching yourself out now, so re-set your brain and everything will fall into place.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:15 AM

I have seen your quilts that you have posted... YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Just set a comfortable pace.. keep reviewing the directions .. and just relax.. and remember to post it so we can see it.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:17 AM

I would think with all those others you've done, a bargello would be much simpler. Good luck, you can do it!
Old 11-19-2012, 06:20 AM

Grab a cup of tea (or coffee, or water) read the directions a second time- then sew.
You can do it!!!!