Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Panels, Panels, Panels >

Panels, Panels, Panels

Panels, Panels, Panels

Old 12-17-2012, 11:44 AM

Default Panels, Panels, Panels

-->My brother likes this panel and wants me to make him a quilt with it...any ideas on what would be repetitively simple seeing as how I am new at panels and well quilting in general haha..

--> I thought of cutting the pictures apart and using them as separate blocks and having them either around in the center or in separate corners then filling in the center with a navy blue & brown pattern or some other color that goes well with the colors in the pictures.

-->I have a couple ideas in my head but wondered what some other great minds out there thought would be fun and look nice Thanks

--> FYI this panel is 36" X 44" in size
http://www.nancysfabrics.com/product...panel-set-of-4

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-17-2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: replace copyright image with link
Old 12-17-2012, 11:58 AM

If you search for panels on this forum you will find a few threads with great ideas. Here's one link and if you scroll through it there is some gorgeous ideas shown. Have fun! http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ts-t76103.html
Old 12-17-2012, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
If you search for panels on this forum you will find a few threads with great ideas. Here's one link and if you scroll through it there is some gorgeous ideas shown. Have fun! http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ts-t76103.html

-wow thanks much
Old 12-17-2012, 05:16 PM
Power Poster

Just for fun...i'd buy 4 sets and create fractures quilt sections then set with sashing...possibly othe intersting nature blocks depending on desired quilt size
Old 12-17-2012, 05:35 PM

I would use the panel with the 4 pictures as they are in the center of the quilt and surround it with solid black or a black batik and quilt it with a brown thread. That way the panel is the center of interest. It is the only thing that your brother will be interested in anyway - not block patterns, etc. He will have a quilt that is masculine and built solely around what he likes. I think it will be very striking in its modern simplicity.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:24 PM

Here is my son's quilt. His panels were different, but you could do the same with the similar panels. My son did care about the blocks. The blue/gold from high school day, the Carpenter Star because he loved his sister's quilt, the Tradewinds because he travels for work, etc. If I were doing only one, it would be Tradewinds - I like that pattern a lot. It's free on a fabric site. Robert Kaufman, I think. I can find it if you are interested.

Side note - his motel had a fire last night. D grabbed his wallet and his quilt before he left the room. [ATTACH=CONFIG]382792[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails ds-quilt.jpg  
Old 12-17-2012, 06:34 PM

Great quilt and great story! Hope all was OK and no one was hurt in the fire.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:39 PM

I think it would be very nice used as is with one or two borders - maybe a narrow one in black to set off the panel and then a batik or brown print on the outside. I have used panels quite a few times and have always had trouble when cutting them up into separate blocks. They never seem to be square and it's hard to get a perfect square cut. It will be beautiful!!
Old 12-17-2012, 06:50 PM

I used a panel and did not cut up pictures
Attached Thumbnails northernwoodslapquilt1.jpg  
Old 12-19-2012, 05:13 AM

Default This is what I used

I donated this for work for March of Dimes and it was a hit. There are so many ways to incorporate the panels into a quilt. have fun
Attached Thumbnails 050.jpg