Dental

Old 06-11-2009, 03:18 PM

Is there a dental plan through medicare or social security that one can sign up for? The company I work for is canceling our dental insurance and I have a friend that is receiving her social security because she is older than 65 but I was wondering if they have dental insurance. I tried to find it on the ssa.gov website but couldn't find it.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:02 PM

I don't believe there is one for routine dental work. You might be able to get dental surgery covered.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Power Poster

every region in every state has different coverages available...you pretty much have to contact the supplemental insurance companies in your area. There is one out here that covers some dental, but their premiums were pretty outrageous.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:51 PM

Hi Sandiphi, My DH and Myself are doing much the same thing,trying to find a dentist. Medicare doesn't cover anything dental Unless it has something to do with the mouth itself It has to be medical.. Here in this part of SE Georgia The dental care is though an insurance,Blue Cross & Shield, Metlife ETC. very expensive. If you are retired and on a set income like ourselves it is just to expensive. There is a Dental Plan instead of a Dental Insurance which is what we are going to take. For family it is $145.00 a year. Basic care is not to bad and the others like crowns,root canals can be delt with really not to much more than with the insurance. Mostly the Insurances have free basic care with Plan you pay a fee. Different States have Different costs in insurances. I still have 32 teeth have always taken care of them and want to keep them as long as I can and My DH has most of His. So we will go the Plan way. Just Key in Dental Ins.Plan or Dental Ins. and you should get one or both. Blue Cross wanted I think around $80.00 dollars a month. I can't do that. Some other ones wanted a lot more a month.
Good luck and if you find something that is better and I can get it in this part of SE GA. Please let me know.
Bill'sBonBon
Old 06-11-2009, 05:29 PM

Sometimes the dental schools will offer free or low cost services. Check and see if there is one in your area.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltMania
Sometimes the dental schools will offer free or low cost services. Check and see if there is one in your area.
Good suggestion!!! It also made me think of a few dental clinics in my area that go strictly on a sliding scale fee, too.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:41 AM

I know there is a bit of a joke about the Brits and their teeth, but as much as I complain about the cost, I have just had two fillings repaired and a new one put in, as well as a scale and polish. All done over the course of three visits to the cost of just £46 (USD $77)

I hope you can find what you need :mrgreen:
Old 06-12-2009, 04:06 AM

Thank you for the info everybody. I guess I will have to do some research.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by PrettyKitty
I know there is a bit of a joke about the Brits and their teeth, but as much as I complain about the cost, I have just had two fillings repaired and a new one put in, as well as a scale and polish. All done over the course of three visits to the cost of just £46 (USD $77)

$77 with or without insurance helping with the cost?
If it's without, I think I'm moving to you :)
Old 06-12-2009, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
Originally Posted by PrettyKitty

$77 with or without insurance helping with the cost?
If it's without, I think I'm moving to you :)
No insurance involved, thats just the price on the good old NHS:

Band 1 course of treatment – £16.50
This covers an examination, diagnosis (e.g. X-rays), advice on how to prevent future problems, a scale and polish if needed and application of fluoride varnish or fissure sealants. If you require urgent care, even if your urgent treatment needs more than one appointment to complete, you will only need to pay one Band 1 charge.
Band 2 course of treatment – £45.60
This covers everything listed in Band 1 above, plus any further treatment such as fillings, root canal work or if your dentist needs to take out one or more of your teeth.
Band 3 course of treatment – £198.00
This covers everything listed in Bands 1 and 2 above, plus crowns, dentures or bridges.