Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trembling Hands >

Trembling Hands

Trembling Hands

Old 03-20-2013, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

My Sister's hands shake a lot but she hasn't told me why. She says it isn't Parkinson's which my Aunt had. luckily she doesn't sew and does take some medication already. good luck.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:44 AM

Tremors run in my husbands family. His father's hand shook horribly. My husband's hands shake and so do my son's, my daughters shake only when she's tired. My husband takes propranalol for his and it helps tremendously. Check with your doctor. I know people don't like to take medication if they can help it, but sometimes it's worth it. Good luck!
Old 03-20-2013, 12:24 PM

Find a good chiropractor and have him x-ray your spine. If it envolves spinal nerves, he can help you. I had ET in my neck and my head bobbed. Now it is gone and my nerves are better. I had a curving in my spine that effected the nerves. It's worth a try.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:06 PM

I have a friend who cannot cut her material herself so a friend and I do her cutting for her. Maybe you can get one of your friends to help you.

Pat in MN
Old 03-20-2013, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

I would suggest finding a guild in your area that would do this task for you. Local churches usually have quilter guilds. Make a stop into a LQS and ask them about the guilds in your area.

I have found the people in guilds are more than happy to help out people in your situation.
peace
Old 03-20-2013, 05:01 PM

Blessings to you! My mom had Parkinson's and was able to control much of the shaking with medication (and a big dose of stubbornness!) but she was not a quilter. As others have stated some days it was worse than others. Wish I could help.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:02 PM

A family member with Parkinson's was helped by weighted silverware - can you weight your cutter? And also foam rollers with a hollow center that fit over toothbrushes and such to make them easier to grip.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:13 PM

I checked to see where you are from thinking I could cut and saw far away. Then I saw Lauri's post. Wow that is so nice of Laurie in NYC. If she needs help with the cutting I would love to help out to. I am currently living on Staten Island NY, recently relocated and have yet to meeting nice quilting people so this can be a win win. PM if interested
Old 03-20-2013, 06:35 PM

Oooh, I just saw an Eleanor Burns Theater video (Jan 2013) that demonstrated a cutter that would substitute for a rotary- it's called the Sew Easy Ruler Cutter. She said it would be perfect for someone who was developing hand issues that would make rotary cutting dangerous. She even showed how it worked with her left arm laying across the ruler instead of pressing it down with her hand.
http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponline/ruler/43419
Old 03-20-2013, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by sgardner View Post
Oooh, I just saw an Eleanor Burns Theater video (Jan 2013) that demonstrated a cutter that would substitute for a rotary- it's called the Sew Easy Ruler Cutter. She said it would be perfect for someone who was developing hand issues that would make rotary cutting dangerous. She even showed how it worked with her left arm laying across the ruler instead of pressing it down with her hand.
http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponline/ruler/43419
Thank you for posting this url! Excellent information.