Sewing for yourself?

Old 03-27-2013, 01:57 PM

I used to sew almost all of my clothes even took a lingerie class & made my own underwear. Also did wedding & prom gowns. Don't sew very much anymore. Truthfully about all I ever wear anymore, unless I go somewhere is sweats in the winter & long loose "muu-muus" in the summer. I have a lot of suits & nice dresses, but have lost so much weight I really need to make or buy something that really fits for good. I like to use natural fabrics for clothing - just don't like the feel of synthetics on my skin. It is impossible to get good quality fashion fabric in my area anymore.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:55 PM

I think it's a love of sewing and getting a good fit. I'm learning to sew clothes because I hate the way everything fits at the store. My Mom used to sew all my clothes - I'm 39 now - 40 in November. We would go pick out a pattern and fabric together. I would describe how I wanted it to fit. Now she says my problem is I had a custom sewer the first half of my life and haven't gotten over it. (lol)

I was thinking of revamping my garden, but you know we found it would cost $1K to put it the way we wanted. Well... the husband asked me how much have you been spending at the farmers market every week. I said about $15 - $20. He said it was more cost effective to support people who liked to garden then for us to get out there.

So now I look at sewing as a hobby and if I like it and I like what I'm making, then I'm good. Really I just like playing with power tools.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:52 PM

I watched my mom sew for many years...she was a self-taught seamstress and made quite a few things for me and later for my sisters...and patched jeans for my 4 brothers! I learned to sew by taking Singer Sewing Course years ago and sewed quite a bit for myself before I was married, sewed a suit for DH after we wed, and created many cute dresses for our first 3 kids...as they got older, their tastes changed, but when it came to prom dresses, oh,did I have fun! I even made dresses for friends of my girls. No, I probably didn't charge what I could have, but these youngsters were also working girls...and my biggest reward was seeing the smiles on their faces and how beautiful they looked. I do some sewing for my DGD, but at 6 years, she's kinda picky...and full of attitude! Oh, well, I can still enjoy making christening gowns and baby blankets!