Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on distance/width between quilting lines >

Question on distance/width between quilting lines

Question on distance/width between quilting lines

Old 04-15-2013, 09:33 PM

Default Question on distance/width between quilting lines

I'm making a quilt for an auction. I expect the quilt will be more of a display item than one that gets used, as it features children's art and includes buttons, ribbons, etc. However, I don't know for sure, as I won't be the one keeping it.

Question: I'm using June Tailor fusible (eww, never again, but that's another story). It says quilt up to 6 inches apart. Can I get away with 9.5 inches apart?

(thanks for any responses, even though I haven't posted in forever...)
Old 04-15-2013, 10:08 PM

What is june taylors fusible? Not sure i would quilt that far apart. Though you could quilt that far apart and then if you have a machine that has extra stitches you could use the stitches to tack in between. Kinda like tieing but using machine stitches. Ive done that.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Painiacs View Post
Though you could quilt that far apart and then if you have a machine that has extra stitches you could use the stitches to tack in between. Kinda like tieing but using machine stitches. Ive done that.
i like this idea
Old 04-16-2013, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

I'd be worried about it. If it's ever laundered, there may be an issue with shifting batting. Actually if it's hung for a long time, it may sag. I agree with the tacking idea, or maybe the buttons etc. will suffice.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:23 AM

Question: I'm using June Tailor fusible (eww, never again, but that's another story). It says quilt up to 6 inches apart. Can I get away with 9.5 inches apart?

Why set yourself up for failure? If the product says 6" that is the MAXIMUM amount that they recommend. Quilts that the batting shifts into lumps after washing, usually end up in a dog bed.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:31 AM

Why set yourself up for failure? If the product says 6" that is the MAXIMUM amount that they recommend. Quilts that the batting shifts into lumps after washing, usually end up in a dog bed.[/QUOTE]

I agree! Do not assume thast this item will be hung. Careful research has been done on the stitching distance and that distance is what is recommended by the manufacture! Follow their quide lines!!!!!
Old 04-16-2013, 06:37 AM

I agree with others. If the product says an amount then go with the amount. I wouldn't skimp on quilting. You can apply the buttons after and use that as a tack to keep the quilt together if that helps.