Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inkjet printers >

Inkjet printers

Inkjet printers

Old 04-16-2013, 04:26 AM

Default Inkjet printers

I am considering purchasing an inkjet printer, partly because of the discussion the other day about Inklingo! Please share your ideas about the best (not too expensive) inkjet printers to use for printing on fabric. I am working on small calendar quilts and need to print labels. Would rather not embroider them!!! Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Old 04-16-2013, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

The cost of the printer doesn't matter as much as the cost of the ink cartridges. I bought a Kodak printer because the ink is cheaper, but it keeps going up in price. It prints okay, scans and copies fast. I won't buy it again though because if the color ink is low and the black ink is full it won't print until I change the color ink. And I noticed the ink cartridges don't print as many pages as it claims, a lot less. If you are using it just for fabric then it would be fine. I'm keeping it just for that.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:20 AM

I have had the best results with HP printers. I've had other brands, most recently a Brother, but the color wasn't as bright. BellaBoo is right, the ink is the real cost of the printing, although I have a higher end printer (prints directly on DVDs, ...). I would think you would want something designed for photo printing.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:23 AM

I have a very inexpensive printer from HP. It prints, scans and copies. Cost less than $100. Best of all I can buy ink cartridges for it at my local Kroger store---very handy.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:45 AM

I have an HP printer, no problems.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:32 AM

I have always had HP....the cost of ink is high. My suggestion is make sure you can print on black even if your color cartridge is empty. Suggestion on saving ink...(learned from my computer geek son) Always print black only things with the setting of draft. Uses lots less ink and still looks great. I only use color if I need color. My HP has the option to get standard size color cartridge and get what they call a XP black cartridge, which is a much larger cartridge and costs you less per page.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:36 AM

I just purchased a Canon printer from walmart for $50. I love it. I print on fabric, freezer paper, and foundations and have not had a problem since. The ink was fairly inexpensive too. I buy my ink online from Amazon. Its cheaper there than in the local stores.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:07 AM

I have the < $100 HP copy, scan, print type also. I live in a rural area and bought this one because ink was available locally.

I have used in to print Inklingo hexagons. It works pretty well. My one complaint is that it does not have the capability for me to set a totally custom page size. It has several built in sizes and that is it. If I were buying a printer mainly to use with Inklingo I would try to be certain I could set the "paper" size at any size I wanted. That will help you use up smaller fabric scraps and such.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:35 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I bought an inexpensive Dell printer and buy my ink cartridges wherever they are the cheapest. I google the cartridge number and buy a box of four or eight for about $7 each cartridge. Pretty great deal for me.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:42 AM

i have a kodak printer and order my ink from ebay.. great ink combo for 10.95 so far so good.. wait for my next order then will see.