Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inkjet printers >

Inkjet printers

Inkjet printers

Old 04-16-2013, 03:50 PM

It is ironic that I,m reading this today because for the last two weeks I have been trying to have my HP printer fixed, HA. There is nowhere to fix them. I have been told that it is better to replace them than fix them, (labor).Mine is the all in one, (print, copy, scan and fax, (which I don't use). This printer is in pristine condition and I,ve been told that it is the print heads that have gone. After checking to replace them, it will cost around $120. Hello, I can buy a cheaper new one for that. I have never had the print heads go before. The person where I go to replace my cartridges says that printers now days are throw aways, (after I just spent $120 on 4 new ones). I,m going out tomorrow to check on buying a new one and hope to have better luck than I had with this one. I have had two HP printers in the past and had no problems like this one, the most expensive one I had purchased. Check them all out and good luck.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:10 PM

Epson are the best but they are supposedly getting rid of inkjet printers. HP is very nice. A tip I learned from a guy in the computer department is that if you don't print a test page daily it ruins your cartridges, and printer head and it results in not getting many pages out of your cartridge so I have been printing test pages every few days and this cartridge has already printed out way more pages than my other cartridges did on my HP
Old 04-16-2013, 06:11 PM

Everyone is so right...it is the cost of the ink that is the killer of the budget. Fortunately for me my DH is the star bargain hunter. For my recent 74th birthday he bought me a 13x19 Cannon to replace the Cannon 8.5 I had that went south. I loved the pictures and the color and it worked wonderful for years. Searched and found this one for $99. on the Cannon site and it has the same brilliant color. He gets refillable cartridges and 3rd party inks. I am the artistic side, he the technical. I'd be sunk without his expertise. I haven't printed anything on fabric yet..

Two things.
There are printer settings...one that allows the printer to determine the color profile and the other is the program you are using. I set mine for the Adobe rather than allow the printer to decide because I get better color.

The other is the fabric...Has anyone had problems with lint on the print heads? What type of fabric do you use if you don't use the prepared packages. I'm wondering if I killed my little one with lint. Tried the formula for setting the dye color but it didn't work for me. I would use the dye for wall hangings that wouldn't get washed. I also have an Epson pigment 13x19 he got for the same price so I use that for fabric. It's been awhile since I used it and have cleaning cartridges in it when not in use. Don't want to mess up the new one. Which fabrics have the tightest weaves?
Old 04-16-2013, 06:28 PM

I have both an HP and an Epson. I like them both. I had heard that Epson was better for printing fabric; but both my printers do a good job on fabric.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:32 PM

I did a lot of research on this a couple years ago. I believe that Epson has the best one for printing on fabric. At least that was my conclusion then. They make an ink that is color fast and doesn't fade as much. I would look at them and see what the options are today.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:09 PM

I have used HPs for years -- they work great. The only Epson I had ate the Printed Treasures fabric -- sigh. What a mess to unjam the fabric -- and to count the cost of the ruined fabric. I have actually called HP to ask which printer is best for printing on fabric -- it took a while but they got back to me and the printer was great.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:16 AM

Oh my goodness! I LOVE this board! I have been reading all the threads for months and cannot believe how much I have learned. Thank you all for your helpful suggestions about a printer. I am now armed with an entire page of notes and suggestions. The printer salesperson will have a very easy job since I know much more clearly what I need thanks to all of you.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
The cost of the printer doesn't matter as much as the cost of the ink cartridges. I bought a Kodak printer because the ink is cheaper, but it keeps going up in price. It prints okay, scans and copies fast. I won't buy it again though because if the color ink is low and the black ink is full it won't print until I change the color ink. And I noticed the ink cartridges don't print as many pages as it claims, a lot less. If you are using it just for fabric then it would be fine. I'm keeping it just for that.
Have you tried setting the printer on black and white to print when color cartridge is low? I haven't noticed this problem - I love my Kodak and the price of the inks and have used it to print on fabric, card stock, photos, etc. with very acceptable quality. HP is top of the line but so is cost of the ink. The Kodak is a good trade off in my opinion.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:41 AM

You can wash the Canon print head with soap and water. I was told that by a repair shop. It will clean the print head - but an inkjet works by forcing hot drops of ink through little holes. Those holes will eventually enlarged, smearing or blurring the print.

The old HPs used to give you a new print head with every cartridge - that's why they were expensive. The Photosmarts use the same technology as Canon and everyone else. One print head.

Like one poster, I prefer to let Adobe manage the colors. I've gotten into contests with HP as IT wanted to manage the colors. You can find printer profiles for Canon and you can calibrate your screen.

If I'm using the computer that runs EQ and Embroidery software, all I want is a basic printout. I don't care how accurate the colors are for embroidery as long as the stops are printed. I won't use that box to print photos, though.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by charsuewilson View Post
I have had the best results with HP printers. I've had other brands, most recently a Brother, but the color wasn't as bright. BellaBoo is right, the ink is the real cost of the printing, although I have a higher end printer (prints directly on DVDs, ...). I would think you would want something designed for photo printing.
I have an HP printer 5510 ($99.99) and it uses up more ink that you can imagine. I have had mine less than one year and I have had to buy ink for it four times already (and that ink is darned expensive). I am heading over to Best Buy - they say there is a problem there with the ink disposing unit and they should be giving me a new printer altogether - if I can ever get over there - Freezing rain and snow today up to 6-8" in the city. Dandy!!!!! Also another thing - tip from the IT son - do not use Walgreen's or Office Max or any other refill place, for refills in your printer - it can ruin the printer. For what it's worth. Edie