Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Want your critisisims but please be nice while giving them >

Want your critisisims but please be nice while giving them

Want your critisisims but please be nice while giving them

Old 04-16-2013, 07:13 AM

Question Want your critisisims but please be nice while giving them

Ok so I had a friend ask me to sew these quilt blocks together, quilt it and she wanted a queen size . She sent me the blocks and fabric. I had to figure out what to do . I am wanting to know what you think of the quilting I did along with anything else you can give me pointers on.I have a grace frame with a juki all the quilting done was free motion.I want to learn how to do feathers sometime,along with hearts and such.I have been practicing for a few years and everytime I do a feather I see something wrong and say I CAN"T do feathers!
Old 04-16-2013, 07:17 AM

sorry all I forgot to add the pictures I don't know how you all take such good pics of your quilts this is just a few of the pics I took[ATTACH=CONFIG]408430[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]408431[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]408432[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]408433[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails quilted0689.jpg   quilted0694.jpg   quilted0692.jpg   quilted0690.jpg  
Old 04-16-2013, 07:19 AM

I think you did a very nice job. nice blocks, love the colors. Keep on as you are, I don't have a galloping horse, and there are no quilt police on here. If they are they need to move on.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:23 AM

I think you did a wonderful job here! I would hope you would only get kind comments on this board..the helpfulness and friendship offered to all is one of the attractive features here. BTW, what you think about yourself is what's important! I know the quilt police won't like this,but a quilt like your's looks soft and comfy. Some quilts are quilted to the point that they lose that appeal! Quilt on Girl!
Old 04-16-2013, 07:27 AM

I think it looks great! I also like the colors and I like comfy!
Old 04-16-2013, 07:30 AM

Wow! No complaints here either. I think you did a wonderful job. Pat yourself on the back.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:34 AM

I don't have/use a LA, but here are my thoughts...the fabric in and around the stars in the blocks seems loose, as though the layers weren't firmly stretched before quilting began, or maybe the quilting wasn't started in the center and worked outward from there. Maybe it's just a high loft batting? The quilting stitching looks fine, what I can see of it in the photos.

RE feathers, first of all, you've surely heard of "The Little Engine That Could"... "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can..." Think positive!

I've found, using my DSM, that I can lightly draw the feathers out with chalk so I have something to follow and it makes the job much easier. I've also found that, for me, it's much easier for me to stitch toward myself than stitching it away from myself, meaning that I would have the tip of the finished feather facing me rather than the stem. I practice on scrap for a while before beginning to stitch on my project to get the feel of what I need to be doing.
When you're finished, DON'T LOOK SO CLOSELY! lol It's bound to have places where the stitches overlap, etc. Nobody is seeing that except you, unless you're doing a quilt for show!

Overall, it's a pretty quilt!
Old 04-16-2013, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful, looks great to me. Great colors and pattern. Looks very soft and comfy.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:53 AM

great job. Feathers are tricky to learn. I spend about 6 months drawing them out(to build the mental memory for them) until I could do a halfway decent feather. Don't give up and keep practicing. Once you get them, you will just be amazed at yourself.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

Overall it looks good to me! For being handed a bunch of blocks and then to figure out how to lay them out I think you did a great job!