Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
There's a stain on my quilt show quilt....HELP! >

There's a stain on my quilt show quilt....HELP!

There's a stain on my quilt show quilt....HELP!

Old 04-18-2013, 05:22 PM

Default There's a stain on my quilt show quilt....HELP!

When my quilter was quilting one of my quilt show quilts she noticed a light brown stain on my quilt. We believe it is splattered coffee. It's about the size of a quarter plus another couple dots and of course they are on white fabric smack dab in the middle of the quilt. It's hard not to miss. I only drink black coffee but it has sat there for several weeks....any suggestions on how to get rid of it?

I've spritzed with water and dabbed as much as possible and even tried some hydrogen peroxide but still have that light brown spot.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:43 PM

That sucks! I have no idea! Pretreat it with some sort of stain remover and wash it. If the bindig is on you can wash it. I do not know if that will give you the texture you want, but hey better than the stain, right? Maybe take it to a trusted cleaner and ask for advice? I know I was no help, but I tried
Old 04-18-2013, 05:45 PM

How about Oxyclean? I had a quilt that had "age" spots and used that - took it all out. Good luck - I can only imagine how heartsick you are!
Old 04-18-2013, 06:19 PM

That's awful. Good luck getting that stain out. I don't have a clue how to help, but send you my empathy.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:41 PM

Try Lift Off 123. The one for coffee. follow directions. You put on stain and then a clean cloth on top and weight it down (with something heavy). The stain lifts into the cloth. It will take a few rounds but took coffee out of my carpet. I get mine at Ace Hardware.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:42 PM

If the stain is on only the white, Clorox makes a Bleach pen that works miracles.
I have had good Luck with Liquid "Tide Bleach Alternative" not the regular Tide detergent.
Pour some on the stain, use a soft brush & really work it in & let it sit about an hour or a bit longer. Then wash in COLD water, take it out & do Not put it in the dryer. Spread it out & let it air dry to see if you got all of it out. If not repeat until it is gone or so faint only you will see it.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:30 PM

If you have some leftover fabric, spill some coffee on it and attempt different methods to remove before you try on the quilt. I love Zout stain remover.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:44 PM

End it, or band it it is a bar of soap, u can get it at Walmart and hardware stores.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
If you have some leftover fabric, spill some coffee on it and attempt different methods to remove before you try on the quilt. I love Zout stain remover.
ZOUT is my favorite stain remover, too, and I've tried them all for laundry.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:22 PM

Sew Clean is a great product; it has been a lifesafer at least a couple times. Try it....