Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help - Stain on G.Grandbaby's Quilt >

Help - Stain on G.Grandbaby's Quilt

Help - Stain on G.Grandbaby's Quilt

Old 07-23-2018, 05:56 AM

Default Help - Stain on G.Grandbaby's Quilt

Do not know how it happened, but as I was putting the quilt on my bed to take a picture, I saw this stain on the top strip of Mary Johnson's Strippy Quilt. I decided to wash it and the stain did not come out. I do not know how to add a picture to this post or I would. The baby is due in three weeks. The stain is about 1" x 1/2". Please help with any thoughts on this dilemma.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:07 AM

What is the stain from? Removing it is based on what it is. Blood? Food?
Old 07-23-2018, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

what kind of stain does it look like.

you can read about posting pictures here Preparing (Resizing) Photos For Successful Upload and Viewing
or read the posts in the QB Help Center forum
Old 07-23-2018, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Marcy J. View Post
The stain is about 1" x 1/2". Please help with any thoughts on this dilemma.
My favorite remedy for stains, scorch marks, marks, etc. is an applique.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:22 AM

I agree with "elnan" and possibly applique 2 or 3 hearts on the quilt and it will look like it was supposed to be like that. If you have already washed the quilt and the stain is still there then it will probably be permanent. So sorry to hear this but I think it will work out for you.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:26 AM

If blood, peroxide on a Q tip will work (rinse area well afterwards). If ink, alcohol will remove it. I have great success with blue Dawn mixed with a little water and applied to food stains with toothbrush and then soaked in cold water for about 8 hours. I also used Restoration this weekend on white and off white doilies and clothe napkins and loved it. Stains, even set in ones, came out. Uses warm water but you would have to soak entire quilt in a bath tub or a non- efficiency washing machine (needs lots of water). I just ordered more on AmAzon. good luck!
Old 07-23-2018, 10:37 AM

I was the laundry person for the church altar guild and I was successful at getting old wine and lipstick stains out of purifacators with blue Dawn mixed with one of the powdered bleach products. Mix them together and rub onto the stain. Let sit for a few minuets and rinse. Sometimes I had to add some hydrogen peroxide to the mix also. It works on really tough stains of unknown origins too.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

I have had good luck with Grandma's Secret Stain Remover:
https://www.amazon.com/Grandmas-Secr...dp/B01KG76NRU/

Rub it in, wait 20-30 minutes, then wash. It does require washing. The stuff comes out of the bottle drop-by-drop, so it will take a bit of pressure to get enough drops for a stain the size you describe. I used this on a pair of white sneakers stained with grease from the bottom of a luggage carrier at the airport. This was after my husband had tried everything under the sun on them, including Dawn and anything else he could find. I used a soft toothbrush to rub in Grandma's, waited half an hour, then washed them in the washing machine. My husband couldn't believe it! He had spent hours on the shoes without results.

Grandma's is safe if you don't know the nature of the stain. Peroxide is iffy because it weakens fabric, can remove color. Dawn and Restoration are safe, as far as I know.

I figure if Grandma's does not remove the stain (or whatever other options you try), applique is your best bet.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I have had good luck with Grandma's Secret Stain Remover:
https://www.amazon.com/Grandmas-Secr...dp/B01KG76NRU/

Rub it in, wait 20-30 minutes, then wash. It does require washing. The stuff comes out of the bottle drop-by-drop, so it will take a bit of pressure to get enough drops for a stain the size you describe. I used this on a pair of white sneakers stained with grease from the bottom of a luggage carrier at the airport. This was after my husband had tried everything under the sun on them, including Dawn and anything else he could find. I used a soft toothbrush to rub in Grandma's, waited half an hour, then washed them in the washing machine. My husband couldn't believe it! He had spent hours on the shoes without results.

Grandma's is safe if you don't know the nature of the stain. Peroxide is iffy because it weakens fabric, can remove color. Dawn and Restoration are safe, as far as I know.

I figure if Grandma's does not remove the stain (or whatever other options you try), applique is your best bet.
Grandma's Secret Stain Remover is the best. I talked to a girl who removed a 23 year old stain with it. I would probably put a applique over it and scatter a few more to make it look like that was the plan.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

Have you tried Blue Dawn? That stuff works great.