Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question re size of scrap for paper piecing >

Question re size of scrap for paper piecing

Question re size of scrap for paper piecing

Old 04-21-2013, 07:08 PM

Default Question re size of scrap for paper piecing

Hello all,
I'm making a paper pieced chinese fan. The seven blades are different widths and lengths. I'm not sure how to cut each piece. For a test, I cut a couple of pieces in the shape of the blade adding 1/4 seam allowance.
However, when I sew & turn the darn thing it is too small. Should I just cut a large rectangle, larger than the widest part of the blade? Is there a rule of thumb for cutting pieces for paper piecing? Thanks for any help.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:15 PM
Power Poster

It is certainly easier to cut rectangles that are **at least** 1/2 inches wider than the base of the blade, and 1/2 inches taller. That's how most of the Judy Niemeyer spikes are cut.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Power Poster

Guess what? I often work with the whole piece of fabric ... and trim after!
Old 04-21-2013, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Guess what? I often work with the whole piece of fabric ... and trim after!
Ive done this a couple of times especially if I have sewn the same piece a couple of times and had it not work!!!
Old 04-22-2013, 03:12 AM

Same here. Would rather do a bunch of trimming than have to re-cut fabric to try again
Old 04-22-2013, 10:22 AM

QuiltE and Auntpiggylpn--doesn't paper piecing with the whole fabric make it more cumbersome? I'm ready to tear my hair out as it is with the sewing, turning and trimming, etc. I guess I'll go with dunster's suggestion of cutting the pieces as a rectangle, 1/2 inch bigger all around. I my opinion, paper piecing wastes more fabric than cutting each template out. However, I go with it because the points are so precise. Back to the cutting board...
Old 04-22-2013, 10:39 AM

You can do some work cutting a template but 1) Make the resulting piece about 1/2 inch bigger all around until you are very experienced in in paper piecing and the specific pattern and 2) test before cutting more than one so you get a feel for the "way" the fabric appears after sewn and turned to cover the design.

Angles always cause me some issues and I have been paper piecing for a long time. Sometimes even halfway thru, I will sew a piece or two in backwards or have one too small. I also don't like to waste fabric so I start slowly and figure out the best way for the pattern I am using.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:42 AM

Paper piecing certainly can be a challenge, you think the piece is large enough and it isn't. I had to come to the thought that once the fabric is in my house it is free and I can do what I want with it. I love the points achieved when paper piecing. Every technique has it's own learning curve.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by msariano View Post
QuiltE and Auntpiggylpn--doesn't paper piecing with the whole fabric make it more cumbersome? I'm ready to tear my hair out as it is with the sewing, turning and trimming, etc. I guess I'll go with dunster's suggestion of cutting the pieces as a rectangle, 1/2 inch bigger all around. I my opinion, paper piecing wastes more fabric than cutting each template out. However, I go with it because the points are so precise. Back to the cutting board...

Yes it can be cumbersome. I am paper piecing my periwinkle quilt and I started cutting rectangles and it has worked out fabulously!
Old 04-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
Yes it can be cumbersome. I am paper piecing my periwinkle quilt and I started cutting rectangles and it has worked out fabulously!
Yes, it can be cumbersone ... though it depends how big your piece of yardage is.

Although, I will say, I have used very large pieces and had no problems. After doing the FWS and PC quilts, pretty much all PPd, it's just second nature as to how I do it.