Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What wows you about your favorite quilt shop? >

What wows you about your favorite quilt shop?

What wows you about your favorite quilt shop?

Old 04-24-2013, 03:45 AM

Default What wows you about your favorite quilt shop?

I have a friend who owns a small quilt shop in a small town. She designs her own patterns and has a wonderful eye for color, but her shop doesn't reflect that. What encompasses your favorite store? What kind of displays should fill the front window? How do you like fabric displayed? Should class schedules be prominently displayed and maybe even in the front window. Do you like quilts on every wall and displayed on the top of tables? Do you like seasonal projects displayed with seasonal fabric and patterns? I am hoping that you will share what has impressed you about your favorite quilt shops. Thank you in advance for your inspirations.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:07 AM

I like lots of color, quilts on walls and tables, kits on display, lots of colorful quilt books on display, a wall of quilting gadgets, large racks of thread, lots and lots of beautiful bolts of fabric, and smiling friendly faces. I also like sale areas to look through. My LQS always offers a corner for 1/2 price fabrics, kits, books, and gadgets. That's fun to look through.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:09 AM
Cyn

I am right with Quiltngolfer on this one!!!!
Old 04-24-2013, 04:14 AM

A visit to my fav quilt shop is always like a mini quilt show, and I love that part of it. The displays also include most of the projects in the current class offerings, each with a class description, cost, date, etc. tag on it, which makes it so easy to choose a class to join. Also impressive is top notch customer service and friendliness. These ladies genuinely love their work, and it's so obvious.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:17 AM
Power Poster

i like the shop to be bright and clean. i like the fabrics grouped by color. it's nice to have a 'new arrivals' section i like the prices to be clearly marked and the coupon rules prominently displayed. i like to see samples hanging from the ceiling or high on the walls. it's wonderful to be greeted upon entering and an offer of help given... then be left alone to browse.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

Although fabric fades, I like a window with natural light so I can bring my choices over and see the true colors. My favorite shop has quilts on every available wall surface, clearly labeled with the pattern name and always display their current class projects. They have lots of completed bags, with the patterns for sale right in the sample bag. Easy to find! While most of the fabric in the shop is layed out by color, they have a section where the new fabric lines are all together. They are also great about leaving you alone unless you request some help!
Old 04-24-2013, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

The first impression when walking into a shop is the money maker. Most shops could use a professional to style them. I like shops that are clean and bright. No dark antique attic clutter feel. Employees and owner that keep up with what is new in quilting. If I ask for a Steady Betty, Quilter's Slide Loc, or a Halo, I don't want the lady you are crazy look. I'll walk out in a heartbeat and order online.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:54 AM
QM
Power Poster

My fav quilt shop had to close because of the wonderful owners' major health problems. I was very colorful, well stocked for a tiny shop, friendly, gave excellent classes, displayed a variety of interesting quilts and had a couch where we could sit, drink tea and chat.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

I like good lighting with natural light coming in from large windows. Room to shop between aisles and samples and patterns with the fabric they are made from. I do wish some displays had a sample that wasn't completed so you could see the way the pattern is constructed. I also want a variety of fabric styles even though I don't care for civil war era colors or styles.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

Mine has samples up on the wall of the BOM quilt. Any quilt kit sold in the store has the finished quilt up on the wall. A few machines at the back where you can bring a project and sit and sew if you want. Offers free classes on the Bernina machines they sell. Lots of small project samples done up like aprons, table runners, pillowcases because I don't always want to do a big quilt. Of course lots of fabrics, threads and tools to work with. Warm and friendly staff.