Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to make counted cross stitch blocks into quilt squares?  HELP >

How to make counted cross stitch blocks into quilt squares? HELP

How to make counted cross stitch blocks into quilt squares? HELP

Old 05-20-2013, 07:56 PM

Default How to make counted cross stitch blocks into quilt squares? HELP

I sure can use some advice, and know that I will find it here. I have blocks of counted cross stitch, and I want to put them into a quilt, but not sure how to go about it. I have heard that I should back each block with a light weight fusible pellon and then treat it like a regular block. If anyone has other ideas or suggestions, or has done something like this, I sure can appreciate all the help I can get. I intend to use sashing and cornerstones. Thanks for any and all help and suggestions. Another suggestion was to put each block in an attic window configuration. Has anyone ever done that?
Old 05-21-2013, 02:32 AM

I have done that more than once and yes, I backed it with a VERY lightweight pellon. Then I just used it like the rest of the blocks. I have not done an "attic window" block with cross stitch blocks, but I am sure it would look beautiful.... just have more weight to the quilt.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:53 AM
Power Poster

yes, back your cross-stitched blocks with a lightweight stabilizer- a fusible works well- then border them, sash them as desired....when I used cross stitched blocks I did run a narrow straight stitch along the outer edges all the way around to keep them from unraveling, then added the stabilizer- then added border strips. works well
Old 05-21-2013, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for asking the question. Thanks for answering it. I have wanted to use some counted cross stitched blocks for a quilt too.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:56 AM

I have several cross stitch cards my Mum has made me over the years, and would love to turn them into some sort of keepsake quilt, trouble is they are stuck down on card, would it be ok to soak them and peel the card off - any ideas would be so appreciated
Old 05-21-2013, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by janedee View Post
I have several cross stitch cards my Mum has made me over the years, and would love to turn them into some sort of keepsake quilt, trouble is they are stuck down on card, would it be ok to soak them and peel the card off - any ideas would be so appreciated
Thanks for all the advice, it confirmed what I thought that I had to do. To Janedee, if you know anyone who scrap books, I think there is a solution that they put on old photos, that were glued into books, and it doesn't damage the photo, but releases the glue. Thus cleaning the fabric. You may still have to gently wash them, and dry flat on a towel. Good luck with that, and thanks again, everyone.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:37 AM

Thanks for asking this question, I "was" an avid cross stitcher till I got my embroidery machine and got into sewing more. So I can see me putting some of my half finished cross stitches into quilts. Thanks again for asking and thank you all for your expertise.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:54 PM

Thank you for that - don't forget to post a picture of yours when done
Originally Posted by spartan quilter View Post
Thanks for all the advice, it confirmed what I thought that I had to do. To Janedee, if you know anyone who scrap books, I think there is a solution that they put on old photos, that were glued into books, and it doesn't damage the photo, but releases the glue. Thus cleaning the fabric. You may still have to gently wash them, and dry flat on a towel. Good luck with that, and thanks again, everyone.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:34 AM

Try using Pellon SF 101 - that is a very light weight fusible backing. I use it on flimsy fabric I want to embroider on - iron it on first then embroider. Very easy to use, and lightweight. Good luck with your project.