Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Aida cloth counted cross stich squares used in a quilt >

Aida cloth counted cross stich squares used in a quilt

Aida cloth counted cross stich squares used in a quilt

Old 03-11-2013, 07:33 PM

Default Aida cloth counted cross stich squares used in a quilt

Okay....new to this but here goes. I have 18 count aida cloth counted cross stitch squares that have been in a drawer for 22 or so years to make a baby quilt. I have lost the directions. Put them somewhere "safe" Now my daughter...the baby....is going to graduate college in May and I am going to finish the baby quilt. I am looking for someone who has actually done a quilt using counted cross stitch squares. From what I have read fusable interfacing needs to be used on the back of the blocks. I am thinking cotton batting. Not sure what I am going to do with the quilting pattern but it will be hand quilted. I would really appreciate any information. Thank you very much!
Old 03-12-2013, 01:41 AM
Power Poster

one thought i had... is the embroidery floss colorsafe? i would start by testing that. and will the aida cloth soften up? i wouldn't want stiff squares in a baby quilt.

and welcome to the Quilting Board.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:08 AM

My question would be...how easily are you going to be able to hand quilt with the fusible interfacing? You might need to do a 'stab stitch' vs. traditional hand quilting. I know from nothing about the fusible interfacing. Are you intending for this quilt to be used or decorative only? If decorative only you might be able to get away without using the interfacing if you really want to hand quilt? If it's to be used, then you might truly need the interfacing...again, no clue about that. I'm sure other's here will be able to help you more with that issue. Good luck.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:59 AM
Power Poster

use a batting like warm & natural that allows up to 10" between quilting lines- that way you do not have to quilt on the actual aida cloth squares- you can stitch in the ditch around them- use a lightweight tricot or woven interfacing- finish the edges with a small zigzag so they do not fray/pull apart. as long as they are (gently washed) the aida does soften up -- i would quilt in the sashings, areas around the embroidered blocks...i've been doing counted cross stitch since the mid- 80's...and have never had an embroidery floss color run/bleed...i would (guess) there may be some old/off brands that might- but if you used good floss (like DMC) they should be just fine-without worry --- if you are worried about that- after completing (quilted & bound) wash it---with a color catcher tossed in--just in case. i would wash it after completion anyway-that way you remove any soil, oils, dust, chemicals in the fabrics---before gifting it.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:51 AM

My first thought was the thread- is it color safe? I have not had good results with washing cross stitch pieces. All those hours of cross stitching and the colors bleed. Could you make a quilted wall hanging from the blocks?
Old 03-12-2013, 04:20 AM

I made a tshirt quilt for my niece and her mom wanted me to put her cross stitching
she made her at birth. i was afraid it might run on to the quilt so i put that on to a
pillow with same material from quilt.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:21 AM

I did this for my Mom with some Santa pics she had done over the years on a fine count loose weave like that. I zigzagged the edges to keep from fraying, then used a woven horsehair type interfacing fused on the back. I wasn't as stiff as I expected it to be. She is using it as a wall hanging too, which is okay with that much body. The only interfacing I have ever known to hold it's stiffness after washings is the bulky weight Pellons used for waistbands and shirt or lapel collars.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:21 AM
dd

I made one back in 1984 for my daughter. I only used it a few times. To bring her home in and have pictures taken. Now it hangs in my hallway with plastic over it. I just tied it at the corners and used puffy poly. I like the puffy quilts and didn't know what I was doing. My mom liked it, made the ccs animals from my same patterns and gave it to her Dunkard aunt to actually put together. She quilted hers diagonally about 1" apart. She didn't use hers either. Guess it's tucked safely away somewhere. And no, there is no problem with embroidery floss being color same.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:17 AM
Banned

Yup! I made a large quilt using that. I made 12 dragon cross stitch squares and a large dragon from a kit that went in the center. I didn't use any kind of stabilizer on the back. The AIDA cloth softened up quite nicely and we use it all the time for nappy naps downstairs.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:18 AM
Banned

Just remembered I had a pic of it in my album http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...47-389777.html