Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Aida cloth lable >

Aida cloth lable

Aida cloth lable

Old 04-30-2018, 03:13 AM

Default Aida cloth lable

I have cross-stitched a label for a quilt using Aida cloth but now I'm considering the attachment of that to the quilt. This is going to wrinkle when the quilt is washed, I suppose, and I don't really want it to do that. If I use Steam-a-Seam or some other kind of fusible, do you think that will help prevent the wrinkling? I do plan to stitch it to the quilt but am considering the wrinkling of the cloth I used and would like to prevent that as much as possible. Any suggestions?
Old 04-30-2018, 03:59 AM

How big is this label? I would thing some sort of interfacing would help control the wrinkling. Perhaps if you quilt it into the backing a bit, that might help too. Just some random thoughts......
Old 04-30-2018, 04:09 AM

How about washing your label a couple of times before you attach it to the quilt?
Old 04-30-2018, 05:13 AM

I agree with Geri B that if you use some kind of interfacing or cloth backing to your label that will stabilize it. Also, maybe if you put your label in some warm water with small amt of soap and swish it around then rinse. Hopefully, that would help too.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

I've used aida in the past. i kept my labels to about 3 x 4. never had a wrinkling problem with them. good luck.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
I have cross-stitched a label for a quilt using Aida cloth but now I'm considering the attachment of that to the quilt. This is going to wrinkle when the quilt is washed, I suppose, and I don't really want it to do that. If I use Steam-a-Seam or some other kind of fusible, do you think that will help prevent the wrinkling? I do plan to stitch it to the quilt but am considering the wrinkling of the cloth I used and would like to prevent that as much as possible. Any suggestions?
I always label my quilts with aida cloth cross stitched labels. I only use a 1-11/2 inch by 3-4 inches turned edges under and blind stitch it down and never had a problem, hand washing first might help if you are worried.....
Old 05-02-2018, 02:47 AM
Power Poster

Steam a seam or other ( paper back fusible) washes away when laundered.
a lightweight fusible stabilizer would help. It stays in and stabilizes - will help the label not shrink. The quilt itself ( might still shrink under the label though.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:24 AM

Thank you to those who have responded with their experiences. After I'd done the stitchery, I put it in water for a time to be certain the dye of the floss would not bleed. It came out wrinkly so there's the reason for my inquiry. I want the label to look nice even after laundering in the future. I usually use "laundry marker" and simply write on the quilt or its label but this one is for a special occasion and I want it to be done a little nicer than my usual and be there for years to come.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:33 AM

I think I'd presoak the aida cloth first then do the stitching on it. Would shrink it before hand. Just a thought.