Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Aida cloth counted cross stich squares used in a quilt >

Aida cloth counted cross stich squares used in a quilt

Aida cloth counted cross stich squares used in a quilt

Old 03-12-2013, 05:26 AM

I put my mom's cross stitch into wall hangings and quilts for her all the time. I put very lightweight fusible interfacing on the backs of the cross stitch. This is to stablize but it also helps keep the threads from coming undone when you wash. Never hand quilted one but I FMQ on the Aida and it works just fine.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:57 AM

Welcome to the Quiltboard. I have some of those put away in boxes. Thanks for the reminder. I may get them out and see if I have some that would work in a quilt.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

Have wondered same thing. Have number of cross stitch can use.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:29 AM

I've never put cross stitch in a quilt, but I have washed crossed stitched pictures and never had DMC floss run.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:01 PM

They will do fine. I don't really think you need to do the fusible unless you are worried about threads not being "anchored" securely. If that is a concern I would use the very lightest weight fusible.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:58 PM

The aida cloth is not stiff at all and if I understand correctly the floss is usually colorfast except for stray dark colors. The blocks have all been washed and everything went fine.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:03 PM

What is FMQ? Fusible interfacing is ironed on right? I thought it needed something between it and the batting to keep it stable and anchored too. My plan is to do the fusable and then sew the blocks together with the cotton strips between and then add the border just like a normal quilt. Then do my sandwich and quilt it and do the binding. Did I forget anything that you can think of? I honestly don't know why more people don't put their beautiful counted cross stitch pieces into quilts. Seems like a lovely way to display some that are sets. I worked with a woman who did a whole group of Victorian ladies and that would have made an amazing quilt top!
Old 03-13-2013, 05:05 PM

I also worred the batting might try to come through too. Might not be a logical worry. I am new and those blocks were done by women I used to work with so they are special. It's a baby quilt that I have waited 22 to put together! Hey! I just finished one quilt that I had the top for over 25 years. :-)
Old 03-13-2013, 05:14 PM

Oh thank you ckcowl. I will look for warm and natural. I could do a triangle quilting line off each corner to make sure it's anchored since it's 10" and the blocks are right at 16". I usually wash the material before I cut and I will wash the aida blocks all again before assembly. They have all been washed once but I will do the zig zag around the edges and then wash again, then do lightest weight fuseable so it can be used. Then after I quilt it all I will wash it as a finished project before storage. :-) My daughter is not married yet so hopefully no babies until she gets out of college. You were very helpful! Thanks again!
Old 03-13-2013, 05:18 PM

You didn't have any problems with the ends on the cross stitch? I worried about that mostly. So glad to hear from someone who actually has one like that. Thank you!!!