Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Taking a machine back with me to school...ideas? >

Taking a machine back with me to school...ideas?

Taking a machine back with me to school...ideas?

Old 05-27-2013, 08:47 AM

Default Taking a machine back with me to school...ideas?

Hi!

I am planning on taking my 1960s Riccar with me back to school-it is a reliable machine that I've had for 5 years, and I hope to use it as a quilting machine.
What is the best way to pack it in my carry on? I'm taking a lot of quilting fabric with me as well so I could maybe use that as padding?

Or would it be better to put it in checked luggage? Are there any restrictions of taking sewing machines on a plane?

Information on this would be appreciated, I have never attempted to take a machine back with me, so insight into how to do it and keep the machine safe would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:14 AM

Does it weigh, with packaging less than 50 lbs? Will it fit in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you? Contact your airline with your questions. As for checking it as luggage. It is almost sure to be opened for inspection. A hamhanded inspector broke the latch on my serger trying to yank it open instead of sliding to the right. Good luck. I once owned a Riccar, they are good machines.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

Just another suggestion, is to pack it well, really well, and ship it UPS to your destination. Insured of course, with good documentation.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:17 PM

I gifted my DSD with a Singer 301 last year. She packed it in a rolling carry-on bag and it fit in the overhead bin. She had no trouble from the airline.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:50 AM
Power Poster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo
you might want to watch this video before you think about checking it...
Old 05-28-2013, 05:21 AM

I agree with Alyce. Do consider shipping it via FEDEX or UPS. I shipped a Featherweight to my grandson's wife. I packed batting scraps tightly around the machine in the case so it would not move. I then took it to the UPS store and had them pack it in a box with bubblewrap, no peanuts, again. Yes, it did cost me a bit, but it was worth it for the machine to arrive in good shape, tracking information and insurance.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

Ditto what redmadder said. You can go online and check out the rules for luggage. I would make sure that any part such as needles, feet, are packaged and put away or put in Ziploc and tape to machine. For the large knobs/wheels you can fold cardboard or use Styrofoam to cover those. I say cardboard because they will take apart the Styrofoam. It's white and is dense. The cardboard you can fold just right and use the clear shipping tape so what is being protected is visible. Once they take it apart they don't care how they put it back together.i always use clear shipping/mailing tape. It's strong. many of those inspectors like redmadder said are cocky and obnoxious. You might be able to purchase a box that folds and unfolds at an office supply store. Worth a look.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

Also ditto on what stitchripper (Alyce) said. Those inspectors are very heavy handed. believe I would pay the extra and ship it.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:05 AM

My wife and I agree with those who say to pack the machine and quilting material yourself and ship it to your destination.

Joe
Old 05-28-2013, 10:09 AM

Bonnie Hunter took her Featherweight with her to the airport where she normally was allowed to carry it on. This time, the company forced her to check it AND her lap top. To make a long story short-both were destroyed. Yes, their insurance paid for them, but her Featherweight was precious to her. I'd pack it and ship it so you know it's safe.