Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Storing Each Project Solution >

Storing Each Project Solution

Storing Each Project Solution

Old 05-28-2013, 05:16 AM

Default Storing Each Project Solution

I'm the kind of person that likes to have a lot of things going on at once, so I'm always working on several quilting projects at a time. I don't have a lot of storage right now because we are in the middle of building our house and my work space isn't completed yet. I've been stuffing my projects into plastic baggies and putting them into boxes and bins...augh! What a mess! I can't find anything!!!

I came up with a nice solution. I now take some of the extra fabric that I'm using for that particular project (or I just use fabric that doesn't have a project yet,) and I make a simple bag from it. (Think small pillow case.) It takes me about 2 minutes to make a bag. I slip the project pieces in there to keep it clean and easily identifiable. It's soft and tactile too...for me, much better than a plastic bag. I'm thinking of adding drawstrings to the bags, so that I can hang them up on the 2x4s to get them out of the way and to decorate my space. When I'm done with the project it's easy to take apart the bags and use them for other quilting projects. Waste not, want not, as they say.

~ Cindy
Old 05-28-2013, 05:42 AM

That's a great idea! I've been using clear plastic shoe boxes with locking lids because they are stackable, but I've started hanging larger projects in my closet. I'd love some little bags.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

nicel idea... thanks for sharing
Old 05-28-2013, 11:38 AM

When I first started quilting I went to the pizza shop and asked for unused pizza boxes. They gave me some and I stored my projects in them. I put a label on the front of each one so I would know what was inside. They stack great.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:06 PM

I use the Art Bin boxes - they are acid free. I label the front also - each boxes contains the fabric, specialty rulers purchased for that project and the instructions. Then I can pull any box and know I don't have to search for any part of the project. You have a nice idea for using fabric bags to contain your projects.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:38 PM

Sorry...I should have put this under the Mission: Organization forum. I thought of it just as I hit the "Post Thread" button.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:59 PM

Good idea. I have some of those boxes from scrapbooking that work for my blocks in progress if they get put away.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

This is a great idea. I do something similar by adding a flap. I also use a scrap of fabric and write the pattern on it and baste it to the front of the flap then tie it closed with ribbon. I also include a copy of the pattern. The basted info on the bag is easily removed so the bag can be reused.
peace
Old 05-28-2013, 02:40 PM

I cover cardboard boxes with lids with a white marble design Contact paper. I put all the materials for a quilt in a box that I label with the name of the pattern. When I make the quilt, I put on a new label and new supplies. Since the materials do not stay in the boxes too long, so far, they have been OK. I have pizza size boxes also covered with Contact paper that I use for storing my BOMs. The covered boxes make my sewing room look neater.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for sharing this wonderful tip.