Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting with Embroidery Machine >

Quilting with Embroidery Machine

Quilting with Embroidery Machine

Old 05-31-2013, 04:34 AM

Default Quilting with Embroidery Machine

I haven't done much embroidery quilting with my Topaz 30. I am making a baby quilt for my niece and I am wondering if I should use the rayon thread that I usually use for embroidery designs for my quilting on the baby quilt? I plan on using simple designs and hoop the top and batting. Thanks. Looking forward to getting your ideas on this.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:22 AM

Couple thoughts to consider: Rayon is weaker than polyester, and I can vouch that many rayon brands are not colorfast. You will want to test this before going ahead and quilting your baby quilt. Baby quilts generally get washed often. May be a unwarranted risk using the rayon. What I have done is started eliminated using anything accept Isacord Polyester (not spun). Now no matter what I do in the sewing room, I know I can grab the Isacord thread and use it for everything, from embroidery to piecing to quilting. Good strong, beautiful, silky smooth thread, and one of the lower priced threads available. I have not used King Tut, Superior, Connecting Threads, so I cannot vouch for those.
Bottom line, I broke away from rayon and headed to polyester for embroidery. The Isacord is high sheen just like Sulky and rayon embroidery threads. Makes for beautiful quilting and embroidery.
I do not work for Isacord, I am not a retailer, etc. of this thread. I simply have found a very good high quality thread that I personally can use for everything.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by NanaCsews2 View Post
Couple thoughts to consider: Rayon is weaker than polyester, and I can vouch that many rayon brands are not colorfast. You will want to test this before going ahead and quilting your baby quilt. Baby quilts generally get washed often. May be a unwarranted risk using the rayon. What I have done is started eliminated using anything accept Isacord Polyester (not spun). Now no matter what I do in the sewing room, I know I can grab the Isacord thread and use it for everything, from embroidery to piecing to quilting. Good strong, beautiful, silky smooth thread, and one of the lower priced threads available. I have not used King Tut, Superior, Connecting Threads, so I cannot vouch for those.
Bottom line, I broke away from rayon and headed to polyester for embroidery. The Isacord is high sheen just like Sulky and rayon embroidery threads. Makes for beautiful quilting and embroidery.
I do not work for Isacord, I am not a retailer, etc. of this thread. I simply have found a very good high quality thread that I personally can use for everything.
Thank you for the information. I will look into the Isacord Polyester. I plan on doing white on white, but may change my mind on that so the colorfastness may be an issue. I kind of thought that the rayon may not be the best choice, but wasn't sure which direction to do. I knew I could count on the board to give me suggestions!
Old 05-31-2013, 06:40 AM

There are many good poly threads on the market. I do agree that using rayon on a quilt that's washed often, could cause problems down the road.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:53 AM

Don't use the rayon thread on things that will be washed a lot. The Polyester embroidery threads are much stronger and will stay the color that you chose...I like Robison Anton and Maderia for poly...but, everyone likes something different.