Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Lending out your sewing machine. >

Lending out your sewing machine.

Lending out your sewing machine.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:07 AM

NEVER! I have learned the hard way in lending out appliances and or tools. They never come back the same way you lent them out, and the expense of repairs is on you, unless your friend is that honest and willing to pay for repairs. Sometimes things like this can cause friction between even best friends, and remember, it takes more than a needle and thread to mend fences.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:51 AM

First of all, if its my Viking Diamond Deluxe, no one would be borrowing it. I barely let my daughter borrow my Kenmore. I only did because my 25yr old Singer needs work from me and we have babies being born almost every month this yr. She doesn't sew alot but is so proud of the fact that making a block quilt is something she can do. I encourage her in every way that I can. When my Diamond is paid off I'll get me a smaller Viking to carry around and then she can have my Kenmore; until its on loan and I'm a nervous loaner. I know she cant afford to replace it if something did happen and I couldn't replace it either.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Power Poster

I don't like it when someone asks to borrow. Who raises their kids to think it is okay to borrow from other people? If I want something I don't have, I buy it. I expect others to do the same. Not one of my sewing friends are machine limited though. All have three or more machines, each as good or better then what I have.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:57 AM

[QUOTE=BellaBoo;6228745]I don't like it when someone asks to borrow. Who raises their kids to think it is okay to borrow from other people? If I want something I don't have, I buy it. I expect others to do the same. Not one of my sewing friends are machine limited though. All have three or more machines, each as good or better then what I have.[/QUOTE I'm with you Bella
Old 08-12-2013, 06:20 AM

Absolutely! I loaned my friend my Janome before she got her new machine for Christmas. It was not my main go to machine and she was a beginning quilter and I wanted her to keep it until she no longer needed it.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by craftymatt2 View Post
Never, I will not let my kids use my machines and they are in their mid to upper thirties, no one takes care of other peoples belongings, i dont ask to borrow, so they better not either.
I agree with you! I have had to save and sacrifice to get my machines. I don't want to just hand them over to someone who might not take very good care of them and then bring them back with a shrug and "it just isn't working right now".
Old 08-12-2013, 03:22 PM

This is a tough question. I guess it would depend on who it was and how pressing the need. I have multiple machines but I use them at various times.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
Lending out your sewing machine is like another woman riding on the back of your husband's Harley.

It ain't gonna happen!!!!!!!!

LOL
This made me laugh so much me being an old biker chick , I needed a laugh tonight , Thanks!
Old 08-14-2013, 07:38 AM

I've loaned my favorite mechanical sewing machine once - to a good friend I completely trusted. She liked it so much, she asked me to find her one just like it to buy, which I did. It was a great machine, and before she passed away she gave it back to me. I, in turn, gave it to a young lady who wanted to learn how to sew on a machine and her mother (another good friend) couldn't afford to purchase one.

That was the one and only time I ever loaned out my machine. If another friend really needs to borrow one, I would probably offer it for use at my home, but I probably wouldn't lend it out.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:18 AM

I've become VERY picky, about whom I allow to borrow my stuff. I've received back, way too many ruined items (some beyond repair). Those borrowers didn't even seem very sorry, much less offer to replace the items. I just don't understand that attitude!

I would NOT loan out my old Kenmore or my Janome. I might loan the Brother, depending upon the person asking.