Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much leftover fabric do you have? >

How much leftover fabric do you have?

How much leftover fabric do you have?

Old 07-26-2013, 07:00 AM

lots.........
Old 07-26-2013, 08:41 AM

I am trying to use my scraps. Started making scrappy squares with lime green around each one. Then I started doing quilts for Christmas presents...finished one quilt top and started 2 others. I really want to get back to my scrappy quilt. I never felt so relaxed as when I was just sewing random pieces of fabric together in different ways. It was just great watching the scrap pile get a little smaller. Now I have added way more to that pile from the things I have started, plus a box of cut up clothing that was given to me! Should keep me busy into 2015!
Old 07-26-2013, 08:49 AM

I think I fell in love with fabric and color when I first started to sew my own clothes cause I didn't like how Mom's fit me. I have been collecting fabric ever since then. That was when I was 14 . Now, I am 78. That is a lot of stuff.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by nakotha View Post
These days I am busy with cleaning up my sewing room. I bet, here is one or two or more who knows, what it means.

Well, this year my goal is to use more leftovers instead of using always new fabric. It works out ok. To be honest ...my fabric stash isn't the biggest. But while cleaning up now I found out, that I have more leftovers than new fabric. And to me it's a bit scary How good, that at the first of august the dutch fabric market comes to my little town, hehe

So, what about you? How much leftover fabric do you have? Is it more than your unused fabric? Is it balanced? Do you keep every little piece?
It depends entirely on how much of a fabric I started out with. I tend to buy a fair amount when fabric is on sale so I usually have more than a pattern calls for. Then the leftovers move thru various drawers until it gets to the scrap bins. I have drawers for one yard, half yard and fat quarters. When it get smaller than a fat quarter it goes into the scrap bins. I have scraps in the scrap bins from 14 years ago when I first started quilting. I do make scrappy quilts and it makes me happy to be able to add bits from lots of different quilts that I have made.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:06 AM

You are my idol. I really do not have the space for my fabric.

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
I only have leftover scraps. I never buy fabric until I'm ready to start the quilt. I just don't want to end up with a huge stash of fabric. Too much clutter makes me jittery.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:27 AM

I stopped buying fabric also...I have been using my stash and scraps. After I make a quilt I then make a baby quilt from the leftovers for coworkers children. I never tell them a head of time...its really neat to see their surprise. Today I may go an buy some fabric for my sons back of his quilt. He wants the american flag. I am going to see what I can find. Yikes...more stash coming.
Originally Posted by trolleystation View Post
Have not been to the fabric store in 18 months and haven't made a dent in the fabric I have.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:58 AM

No Leftovers!! If there's enough for a paper pieced wall hanging, I save it. Otherwise, it goes into the 'scrap pile' and gets donated to out quilt guild folks who make dog beds. It's used for stuffing. All small pieces go in, even cotton threads that I cut off. Nothing is tossed out. The dogs at the shelter are very happy with their beds and there's nothing to put in the trash!!
Old 07-27-2013, 09:31 AM

I try to use what I have already purchased, but usually find that my vision does not include the "leftover" fabrics in my stash. I do cut up pieces into 2.5" and 2" squares, hoping that I will make something with them eventually. When I wind up with pieces too small for me to use, I give them to one of the ladies at my LQS. She has a friend who likes to make quilts with a lot of tiny pieces. Suits me ... I get rid of things I won't ever use (like corners, selvedges and trimmings), and she gets free pieces to use. If it's smaller than a 2" square, I give it away.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

Enough to post on the Fabric Buying Moratorium thread. Unfortunately I am also of poor willpower so my stash is still growing. Heavy sigh.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:53 AM

Probably about a ton....Yes...way more than I should have but I always find a use for them....eventually....