Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
PAS (Pattern Acquisition Syndrome) -- Has anyone beat it? >

PAS (Pattern Acquisition Syndrome) -- Has anyone beat it?

PAS (Pattern Acquisition Syndrome) -- Has anyone beat it?

Old 07-29-2013, 06:28 PM
Power Poster

Default PAS (Pattern Acquisition Syndrome) -- Has anyone beat it?

I successfully kicked my FAB (Fabric Acquisition Syndrome), but I'm still having trouble with PAS, probably because patterns are less expensive than fabric.

I have continued with PAS even as I have been sorting through my hundreds and hundreds of vintage quilting magazines page by page. Have done thousands of pages so far, "flagging" inspirational quilts and quilts I might want to make some day, and giving to the library only those issues that don't get at least one flag. Maybe someday I will be able to cut apart a magazine to take out only the flagged quilts, but I'm not there yet.

Maybe I should forbid myself to go to eBay. eBay is such a great enabler! However, I'm not about to give up the QB! And the QB is where I keep falling off the wagon. It's kind of like going to a bar with the idea of sipping on some soda.......
Old 07-29-2013, 06:37 PM
Power Poster

...but that might be the pattern I need some day ​I guess I have PAS too.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:18 AM

Well sortof, but that was only because SO took me by the arm saying "step away from the pattern" when we were at the quilt show
Old 07-30-2013, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

Here's my dilemma. There's a pattern from a magazine on eBay that I looked at before, didn't bid on it, and it went unsold. Kicked myself for not spending the $5 and looked for it a long time. Now it is back, but someone else has placed a bid on it. (I use auctionstealer to snipe at the last minute.)

I could re-create this quilt on my own, given graph paper and a little time, but in reality -- considering the thousands of patterns I already have sitting on my bookcase shelves -- I will probably never actually make the quilt. Even with the pattern, I would make certain changes in the pattern to suit myself. However, it would be easier if I had the original pattern -- especially a good sized photo and diagram.

The pattern's really cute, but I keep seeing a grandma in the bid already on eBay who has decided this is the perfect quilt for her grandchild. And I don't have a grandchild. I feel like I'm going to grab it out of her hands. And maybe for nothing, if I never make the quilt. But then maybe she will never make the quilt. This pattern will probably not come up again anytime soon because it is pages from a magazine.

Sometimes I think too much........
Old 07-30-2013, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

Have not figured out how to kick it other than empty wallet syndrome.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by mighty View Post
Have not figured out how to kick it other than empty wallet syndrome.
Yeah, this helps me alot.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:11 PM

I not only have ALL the syndromes you mentioned, but few more as well. Let's see, there's TAS (thread acquisition syndrome, comes free with a membership in the Superior Threads Thread Club groups)....and OSMAS (old sewng machine acquisition syndrome, it also comes free with a drop-in or two at the Vintage sewing machines section; and then there's..............well, you get the idea. Now, what are we gonna do about it? Try to cure it? Naw! Regulate it? Naw! Sit back and enjoy it? Yeah!!!! LOL
Old 07-30-2013, 06:10 PM

Yes I have that syndrome as well as GAS(gadget acquisition syndrome). Yes I have a problem luckily I haven't caught FAS
Old 07-30-2013, 07:41 PM
Power Poster

I had GAS, but recovered!
Old 07-31-2013, 02:47 AM

I aquire many more patterns than I will ever use, but it doesnt hurt the budget or cause me clutter. I am an internet free pattern saver. Whenever I see an idea, tute on this board, or free pattern, I download it into a pattern file. There it will live forever.

I just think, oh, I like that and may need it. Most of the time when I do want it, cant find it anyway because it isnt named what I thought it should be. LOL

I have a file for photos of quilts I like too. Those I do scroll through for ideas.