Just being a dog

Old 07-31-2013, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

My little white Schnauzer will bury his chew bone all the time to keep the other schnauzer from getting it....That is too cute...
Old 07-31-2013, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by mary quilting View Post
we had a dog that stole our Sunday roast and ate the whole thing I loved that dog but not that day.
This really made me laugh, Mary. Thanks!

I love my dogs also, but when my boy was a puppy, he stole my brand-new noise cancelling headsets, took them out to his dog run, and totally demolished them. I wasn't too fond of him that day!
Old 07-31-2013, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
My beagle opened a cabinet door, got out a bottle of spaghetti sauce, pried off the lid and ate the whole jar of sauce!
Oh my! Clever dog!

When I first rescued my full-grown male Akita, Kuma, he took a plastic bottle of laundry detergent, punctured it, and ate the contents. He also guarded it and I couldn't get it. I was immediately on the phone to poison control and the manufacturer, but fortunately, this manufacturer did not use anything toxic. Kuma didn't even get sick. I had an Akita with REALLY clean insides for a while, though!
Old 07-31-2013, 08:58 AM

My miniature datschund is a snuggler AND a hoarder. He loves to burrow under blankets, quilts, or whatever he finds to crawl into. When he gets a treat he goes to his favorite blanket to burrow into it and eat it, or hide it if he doesn't want to eat it right then. Once its hidden he keeps running back & forth to make sure it's still there. I guess he thinks I will steal it back and eat it myself (lol). He's my precious cutie pie, though, and such a joy to watch.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:03 AM

My miniature datschund is a snuggler AND a hoarder. He loves to burrow under blankets, quilts, or whatever he finds to crawl into. When he gets a treat he goes to his favorite blanket to burrow into it and eat it, or hide it if he doesn't want to eat it right then. Once its hidden he keeps running back & forth to make sure it's still there. I guess he thinks I will steal it back and eat it myself (lol). He's my precious cutie pie, though, and such a joy to watch.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:34 AM

Cute story, would never happen at my house. Labs and goldens scarf down everything and anything and would never bury something as yummy as chicken bones! I can imagine you had a great laugh, Lily's a cutie and I don't even know her!
Old 07-31-2013, 12:50 PM

Many years ago my mom made two regular sized meatloafs, both were cooling on the kitchen counter, somehow in a matter of just a few moments one whole meatloaf came up missing, I lifted the upper lip of my Great Dane puppy and there it was still in one piece. My mom soon discovered, me, the dog and the meatloaf all missing.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:52 PM

I am missing half a stick of butter. Miss Lily wouldn't dream of touching anything while I'm in the house, but I forgot to put the butter away and went outside Monday. Another day I found the plastic bags that had contained thawing food on the dogs' mats. Lily must have snatched them and shared with Moira. It was their food (they are partially raw food), but not the correct place or time. At least she served Moira, too.

When they have rawhides so I can tutor a student in peace (they love him), Lily will bury hers under her blanket then go take Moira's. Once I retrieve it, she doesn't do it a second time. Did anyone say Siberian/Malamute/Shiba Inu mixes are a little determined?

I'm glad your little cutie didn't eat the cooked bones - raw chicken bones are fine.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:46 PM

Such great stories and am having so much fun reading and relating... over the years and many, many pets we have experienced a lot.... how they enrich our lives and memories. Even if some aren't so pleasant at the time the years have a way of improving our sense of humor... thanks for the treat
Old 07-31-2013, 05:40 PM

My MIL used to hide food under her bed when she visited us...my DH and I got a good laugh out of it when we found it after she left. Guess she didn't want to have to go far for a snack at night! LOL