Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Bel Air 770 / Sewmor 770 cam issues >

Bel Air 770 / Sewmor 770 cam issues

Bel Air 770 / Sewmor 770 cam issues

Old 07-30-2013, 08:31 AM

Default Bel Air 770 / Sewmor 770 cam issues

Hello, I recently bought this beautiful machine for $17 and when I got it home I ran it through the gambit. The wheel turned, there was no creaking when it moved, the needle didn't hit the foot, and when plugged in the motor was free and just had a bit of dust in it. When I loaded it up with new thread and a fresh bobbin it straight stitched fine and would do a basic zig zag fine, the issue came in when I tried to use it's other functions (part of the reason why I got it). When I turned the dial on the machine away from straight stitch it has tough to move and than the machine just froze up. When I took off the top I saw a resin Cam and the Cam follower. It looks like as the machine sews the cam follower goes along the cam from right to left and than back, but when I took the top off the follower was stabbing into the resin. I backed the follower off and have been looking for information about the cam or the follower or really even the machine ever since. I'll try and post pictures but I haven't seen anything like it before and I don't really know what to search online to find out more. Any ideas or information would really help.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]427136[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]427137[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]427124[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]427125[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]427126[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]427128[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]427129[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]427131[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]427132[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]427133[/ATTACH]

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails imagel.jpg   imgp0221.jpg   imgp0217.jpg   imgp0216.jpg   imgp0214.jpg  

imgp0213.jpg   imgp0212.jpg   imgp0211.jpg   imagej.jpg   imagek.jpg  

Old 07-30-2013, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

I see a lot of old oil in there. You will have lots of cleaning, new Tri-flow and patience - some little part whether a gear or a spring or what ever is gummed up. There are some machines I never know what I do to make one work just clean and oil until they work. If someone messed with it it might be more of a problem. I'm thinking Belaire was made by Brother. The Belaire machines I've seen have been nice machines. It is possible that since the part has been removed that something is out of timing.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:33 PM

I have almost this same machine. Mine has metal cams in it, and it almost looks like the cams have been removed from that resin spool. I'm wondering if someone harvested the cams from your machine. At least it looks that way to me. And since the cams are missing, that would be why the follower is digging into it:<

Last edited by Candace; 07-30-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:37 PM
Power Poster

Candace, I wondered about that. Something looks odd.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:49 PM

Yes, I'm pretty sure the cams have been removed. It would be very hard to get the exact cam set replaced.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:19 AM

So what would my options be then? I mean it does a decent straight stitch and zig zag. I'll keep cleaning it and see if I can get most of the old oil and gunk out of it but I think your right about the missing metal for the cams. That's a little disappointing. Would you have any ideas on where I would even search for a new cam for this machine?
Old 08-01-2013, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by gramX20 View Post
So what would my options be then? I mean it does a decent straight stitch and zig zag. I'll keep cleaning it and see if I can get most of the old oil and gunk out of it but I think your right about the missing metal for the cams. That's a little disappointing. Would you have any ideas on where I would even search for a new cam for this machine?
Someone used your machine as a donor machine. It's not just a single cam that's missing, but the whole cam set. You'd have to find the exact model donor machine and harvest that cam stack from it. You can put out feelers for the cam set from this model, but you're going to have a very hard time finding someone who has that exact machine and that exact donor cam set available. My advice is consider it a straight and zig zag machine and use it as such.