Bel Air / Sewmor 606

Old 07-26-2015, 07:30 AM

Default Bel Air / Sewmor 606

Hi everyone,

I've found this site to be a great resource for info in the past, and joined in the hopes of getting some advice about a Bel Air 606 (which appears to be the same as the Sewmor 606), and hopefully have an opportunity to return the favor sometime.

Although I already have a small collection of vintage Singers & Pfaffs, I took a chance on this machine because it was love at first sight. It ran so smoothly that it was almost silent and it's even prettier in person than in the photo. Not that it could be run for more than a few seconds, the foot pedal produced some smoke, and the motor even more smoke.

Haven taken it apart to start cleaning, oiling, etc., and looked at it more closely, I've discovered that in addition to needing to repair (or replace) the motor & pedal, the stitch length adjuster turns and has a full range of motion, but moving it doesn't seem to have any effect on the motion of the feed dogs. Everything else seems ok (hard to tell until I can actually sew on it)...

If any of you have experience with these machines, I would greatly appreciate whatever advice about repairs you could provide -- how feasible is it that I could repair the motor & pedal (in the past I have just replaced bad ones, but because of the color match I'd love to fix these if possible), and how likely is that the stitch length adjustment can be fixed?

Thank you!!
Wendy
Attached Thumbnails fullsizerender-8.jpg  
Old 07-26-2015, 08:37 AM

Wendy,

Welcome to the QB.

I have the Sewmor 606 version. It is a very nice machine.

Regarding yours, what's wrong with the motor and controller?

The stitch length adjuster is the lever, the red knob is the lock that holds the lever in place when you get it set where you want it.

I don't see a bracket on the motor, if it's just missing the screws they are standard 10-32 thread IIRC.

Joe
Old 07-26-2015, 09:36 AM

Joe -
Thank you for you reply, it's helpful. :-) The motor is off of the machine so that I could clean around it and because I'm afraid it will burn up - smoke pours out when it's in use. Same with the foot pedal, unfortunately. The motor bracket and screws are safely tucked away until the motor is fixed or replaced. Sorry that the photo is confusing, I didn't think to move the motor out of the way before I took the pic.

I just found a great scan of the manual online. So based on you advice and the book, if I am understanding correctly: to set the stitch length put the lever at the middle point, use the knob to choose the length, then push the lever to wherever it stops and the knob will keep it locked at that chosen setting.

The lever and knob seem not to be working together on my machine. The lever moves all the way up & down no matter where the knob is set. At one point (after my intervention) the range of motion for the knob was fine, now it won't go up past 2 - which is how it was when I got it. I had taken it apart (maybe that was a bad idea, but it looked straight forward and went back together nicely) and had the dial working freely off (bot off and on the machine), but now it's reverted back to the original limited range of motion. I'm afraid to mess with it too much more, the last thing I want to do is lose a tiny part, over-tighten something or break the knob (which I am guessing is bakelite).

If the problem is inside, that is definitely out of my comfort zone, especially on a machine that I may not be able to get replacement parts for if I really mess up. (eek!)

While I'm thinking of it - would you happen to know if the 606 will fit in a Singer cabinet? I have a #42 cabinet from a 15-91 that it would look great in... and now that I think about it, this would eliminate the foot pedal problem because there is a foot pedal built into the cabinet that could be used instead of the original.

Thanks again :-)
Wendy
Attached Thumbnails screen-shot-2015-07-26-12.58.17-pm.png  
Old 07-26-2015, 04:11 PM

Looks like the stitch length instructions are dead on.

Many motors get over oiled and or filled with dust, lint and even pet fur. "Usually" they will clean themselves out with use. However sometimes you have to clean them. A Sewing machine guy I know squirts lighter fluid in them at the brush area then runs them at max speed for a few minutes. I've not used lighter fluid but I have used denatured alcohol and break cleaner. If that doesn't work, then the motor will have to be disassembled and cleaned.

The foot controller should not smoke at all. That can be taken apart and cleaned if there are no broken parts or shorted wires. If it is a carbon pile controller there can also be broken carbon disks inside. This causes an overheat condition.

You would not believe the junk that will build up in foot controllers. Here's a pic of the build up of stuff I found in one:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]526202[/ATTACH]

Here's one with broken carbon disks:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]526203[/ATTACH]
"IF" you can find replacement disks controllers like this one can be cleaned and repaired. Mater of fact I did have some extras I got from another forum member and did repair this controller.
It's so much easier to replace them though.

Yes, the SEWMOR 606 will fit in a Singer cabinet. Almost all the machines sold use the Singer dimensions except the White made machines and many of the Kenmores.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails img_5309.jpg   img_5071.jpg  
Old 07-26-2015, 05:40 PM

You can replace the foot controller with an electronic one that will not get hot. That is easy to do. I've kept all the old ones I had in case I ever want the original again (or the next owner does). But I do like the control that the electronic one gives, so I have those for the ones I use the most. It's mostly a personal choice.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:27 PM

Hi again!

The motor is pretty dirty, so hopefully it will just be a matter of cleaning it out. I've got some denatured alcohol, so it's worth a try. The foot pedal won't be a problem now that I can put it in the Singer cabinet with the built-in pedal.

So hopefully I can clean out the motor and my local repair guy can get the stitch length dial working - then another (beautiful) machine will be back in action. :-D

Thanks again -
- Wendy
Old 07-26-2015, 06:48 PM

Welcome Wendy! If you hang around for awhile you will try the repair yourself. It is very satisfying to work things out with a little help from your friends.
HelenAnn
Old 07-26-2015, 07:45 PM

Joe those are just nasty inside.
Rodney
Old 07-27-2015, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Joe those are just nasty inside.
Rodney
Yep it was. But with a good cleaning and the broken disks replaced it works great now.

Joe
Old 07-27-2015, 02:10 PM

Joe, You must have, (DO) have the patience of a saint. I vote with Ann 31039. Get one from Sew-Classic.com, the solid state variety when your old one goes bad. It was the best money I ever spent, but yes, I do keep the old ones in case some poor soul wants them. Once you get the solid state one, you won't ever want to go back to the old nichrome wire, resistor type. Did you ever notice the wear on the 3 low speed wire assembles? Most of mine were worn nearly in two. DH says it is a wonder some poor lady doesn't catch fire or electrocute herself, but then he's an electrician and they are pretty safety conscious. The last one I took apart had an ounce of just plain dirt in it. Nasty.